Monday, May 12, 2008

[new mac] using it, it watches me



Oh I just love this one about a burglary of an apartment in New York, including a Mac owned by an Apple employee:

While police in White Plains, N.Y., were coming up empty with their investigation, Duplaga learned that her computer was being used on the Internet and turned on the Back to My Mac feature installed on her Mac from another Mac, according to the report.

The feature allowed Duplaga to see immediately how the computer was being used at the time, as well as operate it remotely. Recalling that she had a camera installed on the computer, the fast-thinking Duplaga snapped images of one of the burglary suspects before he realized what was happening, according to the Times.

Duplaga showed the image to friends who recognized the suspect as someone who attended a party at the apartment.


The longer I use my Mac, admittedly a 17" Tiger, the better it gets. For goodness sake, it even self-repairs. Together with the camera feature, Little Snitch and other goodies, it is constantly updating and the system is so easy to use.

The downside is that one needs to switch off voice control when there's a lady in your arms because sometimes the sounds are picked up by the green flashing receptor and tend to turn on a film or dance music or whatever.

Once the computer even took a snap unasked for. Need to adjust the controls methinks.

6 comments:

  1. I refuse to believe it until I see that photograph. If it's of the young damsel in question anyway, otherwise I'll pass on it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was a neat way to capture an image of the thief.. I am a PC person but then I'm a technical ignoramus too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, enough with the Macs already.

    Actually there is a program for PC's which tracks a stolen computer once it connects to the internet and is now installed in all new Dells. It was invented by a friend's son and he has made a fortune from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I just can't be doing with technology getting the better of me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.