Monday, March 10, 2008

[grendel meme] seven good things in life


Sorry it took so long, Grendel, old chap - seven good things in life. You want a serious reply or a funny one?

1. Finding the truth vis a vis my Maker before it was too late.

According to a literary anecdote, the author Nancy Mitford had asked Waugh how he could behave so abominably and yet still consider himself a practising Catholic. "You have no idea," Waugh had replied, "how much nastier I would be if I were not a Catholic. Without supernatural aid I would hardly be a human being."

There is a Comforter, He [She?] exists and is free online for all.

2. A special woman/girl.

My mate phoned me yesterday and was suspicious. "Is it snowing? No? Er ... am I interrupting anything?" He knows the two things here which put me into a jolly mood.

Why not? Might be wrong about it but I enjoy this maybe more than the average man.

3. Snow.

Lots of it, in huge droves, walls of the stuff, all year round. Sun shining, minus ten - heaven. Let me slip nature generally in here too, particularly the forest in summer and particularly if N2 is involved.

4. Real life and blog friendships.

Communication and intellectual stimulation plus touching base are assuming greater and greater importance. I don't rate what I write as all that important but the communication is. Just adore the way a blogger posts about a prat like Darling, broods, then runs another post on the theme just for good measure. In the end, we're all BS-ing.

5. Sailing.

It's my sport and as I wrote to an Indonesian girl, it's the second best feeling - the sound and feel of the spray is blissful and the whole motion is both harsh and beautiful. Skiing is very close too.

6. My work.

It's certainly varied and from the sweet part of it [uni] to the tough part of it [trade], it's never, ever boring and I give thanks for that. Also that I'm semi my own boss and that I work the hours I choose to.

7. Variety.

Everything from 1 to 6, excluding N2. The buzz there is one at a time. I was playing ICQ once and two girls made contact at the same time. So I was running a split screen, one in Russian and one in English. Both were impatient why I didn't reply. Both turned out to be from the same city. That was the city I was in. Both were online from the same computer room, sitting beside one another. Never tried that again.

Unable to fit these in

* Travel - tired of it now.

* Trenchermanfests - used to enjoy them.

* Football/rugby/cricket - love them but not in the seven.

* One's family - well you know, that's a long story and not for the blog.

* The Novels, creativity - up there but not in the seven.

* Music - adore it and can't live without it but can't fit it in the seven. All cultural pursuits - theatre, ballet etc. are in here.

2 comments:

  1. I like this meme for it gives us lots of insight into fellow blog friends.

    Seven not enough, eh?

    Trencherman again. I love that word, use it on occasion but never see it used any more. Now here it is here and at Grendel's too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your numbers 2,3 and 4 would be in mine too. Very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.