Thursday, August 09, 2007

[tents] fun in the rain

Tents have been the butt of jokes since time immemorial.

We had a super-duper arrangement at the beach, 18x12, with a complicated double awning arrangement over the top, 24x24, which required near scaffolding being erected and can you imagine all the lines and pegs?

My mother was never really mechanical. My father was. You can also imagine the altercations as he'd holler some instruction from a distance which my mother would completely misunderstand and as I was holding the Barnum and Bailey's centre-pole inside, I was the one with the tent collapsing all over him.

Oh, we then had carpets stretched out the front to "privatize" the space which led to the only passage to the beach, through the shrubbery for fifty metres either way and only sometimes did a foolhardy member of the public cross all the cunningly deployed guy lines and cross our hallowed carpet, to the intense glare of my mother.

Once the damned thing was up and running, once all the trenches had been dug around the tent, leading the runoff to a safer place, once my boat was parked at the front and the water, ice and everything else had been brought in, it was great for weeks, seabreeze, fresh air and so on.

Until it rained, of course.

That's why I had to laugh when reading Alice B's account of her experiences vis a vis tents. You remember Alice from the vandals who broke up her "glasshouse" teepee on her allotment.

What is it with tents? Folding poles and water resistant fabrics were invented quite a while ago now, surely it’s not that difficult to design something that basically works. It seems unlikely that people design tents who have never actually camped, but when I thought about getting a new one and saw the way some of them are made I started imagining them improvising budget versions of the product testing machines on those Ikea adverts.

“This tent is fully waterproof to 2000mm hydro static head (the recommended use for the UK is only 1500)” it said. “Abrasion, mildew and ultraviolet resistant” it said. “Fly sheet – 70 Denier Polyester (190T Threads per square inch)” . Very nice.

Cut to me lying in said tent in a muddy field, a very long way from the nearest central heating, curled around the edge with a plastic bag in the middle to catch the steady drips running straight into the tent from the ventilation mesh right in the top.

I can feel every drop, Alice.

8 comments:

  1. This post takes me back a bit to all the camping we have done in our time.

    Over the years we went from a two man tent to a full size family one which was hell to put up and like wallpapering a job which I always considered to be conducive to divorce.
    Once up, as you say, fine until rain (we never did trenches, never had water coming in from the bottom only the top and sides). Trying to keep two children from touching the tent, which started the leaking process, was fun indeed.
    I've camped in the Rockies in June at 0 degrees celsius, with a tent heater and a 6 month old baby. But the worst thing about camping in this country is the bears. I could tell you bear stories that would curl you hair.
    Hey maybe I should do a post about this.
    Our tents are long gone, although we still have the sleeping bags and the white gas lantern which we use in blackouts (not so rare here).
    Off to follow the links now.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...from touching the tent...

    I'd forgotten that aspect of canvas tents. Yes, I remember now.

    Yes, do a post, JMB because I think your angle would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just got back from a weekend camping trip. I am restricted by how much I can fit on my motorbike but tent technology has improved so much in recent years - however they are harder to erect now. My wife always wants to help but her lack of spatial awareness makes her a hindrance rather than a help so I send her to get water and food while I wrestle with the thing. Managed a 15 minute erection time [boom, boom].

    My new-ish tent is a "tunnel" design and its efficient in keeping out the rain but poaches you at sunrise and freezes you at night.

    Great fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made me laugh. I can imagine your mother glaring at people crossing her carpet! Never camped - spiders might crawl onto you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents owned a touring caravan when I was a child so I spent many a holiday travelling around the UK from one campsite to the next, though fortunately without the inconvenience of a tent.

    Now my parents have another touring caravan, but as the children have all grown up they have a surrogate child in the shape of a spaniel lap dog that now travels with them on their holiday trips up and down the land.

    I sense a bout of nostalgia descending on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wolfie - is this the same wife with the sensitive bitch-detection antenna system?

    WCL - ah, not in this day and age they don't.

    MJW - funny how it does that. When I read Alice's post, that's what came over me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carpet infront of the tent? I bet it was red , too. I looove your mother! I went camping once- Let me tell you .there was no real bed, electricity, proper toilet, bath, plug outlets, television. IT was HELL I promised to be good for te rest of MY LIFE if they took me home!
    The red carpet to the seafront may have helped soothe me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wolfie - is this the same wife with the sensitive bitch-detection antenna system?

    Indeed it is, only have the one wife. I'm the one with the "fish brain", as she likes to remind me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.