Thursday, August 09, 2007

[sherlock holmes] adventure of what?

Racking the brain trying to remember the Holmes story in which the events I'll describe took place. The thing is, it might have been one of Poirot's but I simply can't remember. I know that the man who tried to help had a partner, so that could be either Watson or Hastings.

Can you help me? Here's the plot, as briefly as I can put it:

Someone, possibly the mother, comes to Holmes [?] asking him to intervene - the daughter has got herself into the clutches of a charming rogue and the mother wants to stop the match. She's tried everything - reason, persuasion, threats, all to no avail of course.

Once a girl gets it into her head that a bad man is interested in her, something romantic turns her head so that reason flies out the window and the more the pressure is applied, the harder she digs her heels in and clings to him.

In this case, the rogue, [whose motivation I'm not entirely sure of - maybe he can't help consuming girls and spitting them out], has schooled her in all the possible people who'll come at her and what they'll say about him.

He explains everything about every possible incident [the ones which could possibly arise, that is] and puts his own slant on it. You know the type of thing - sitting on the edge of the settee, hands clutching, head bowed gravely and her young heart goes out to him.

Sure enough, they do come to her one by one and she "receives" them politely but haughtily.

"Yes, James warned me you would visit, so let me assure you, Mr. H, there is nothing you could possibly add to the wrongful slurs which have already been meted out to my James, the noblest man who ever walked the earth," etc. etc.

Impossible.

Another young woman accosts the silly young thing and in very direct language explains just what a womanizing beast "her James" really is. Same result. Head in the air:

"Yes, well, I can see how the machinations of a woman such as you and an earnest desire to malign and sully the reputation of …" etc.

Call in Holmes.

He has some failures and then hits on the only way. They purloin the rogue's personal diary and leave it where the girl will find it.

Game set and match.

In that diary were all his secret perversions, the way he womanizes for his own all-consuming need and so on. Relationship off and the rogue finally exposed.

So, if you can remember the story, please tell me. I'd be interested to read it again. Thanks.

11 comments:

  1. That sounds like it is the story. What else can you glean from the original?

    Read a new one. I like Jeffrey Deavers books. Try one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bag, that wasn't the idea. I need to know the name of the story, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really sounds more Poirot than Holmes.. I'm thinking... and I know the Holmes tales quite well having read them all to Q. I'll get back to you unless someone else hits it first. We have internet tonight, but I don't know for how lon.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is called The Adventures Of James Hewitt.I could be wrong though as it'snot the sort of tales that would interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't find it, but I did find you a possible source; go over to Wickipedia, under: Hercule Poirot in literature. There is a listing of all the titles, perhaps it will jar your memory?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is Sherlock Holmes, James.

    It is from one of the later collections.
    The woman is Lady Frances Carfax, the villain ends up getting Vitriol thrown in his face.
    The title of the story includes the name Lady Frances Carfax, but can't rememember in what way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is Holmes. I can't remember the name of the story. The villain is an Austrian count and during their confrontation Sherlock tells him no gentleman would smoke a cigar with the band on.

    Why would you do this to me while I am in Cannes and can't get to my complete Holmes set to look it up. It will bother me all day now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's The Illustrious Client and you'll find it in the collection of short stories The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes.

    Your recollection is very good but you're out on one particular detail: it's not the mother who comes to Holmes and Watson but a representative of an unnamed VIP (the Illustrious Client of the title) who is concerned for the girl's safety. The clues in the story point to the Client being none other than the King...

    I hope this helps.

    Bert Coules
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for clearing that up, Crushed, Tom and Bert. I shall get over there straight away [and to you] and thanks for all your help here, people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here it is, thanks to Bert:

    http://sherlock-holmes.classic-literature.co.uk/
    the-adventure-of-the-illustrious-client/

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.