Thursday, April 25, 2024

Dutch barge

To my mind, there’s very much a case for a steel-hulled craft of this kind, though it’s a niche market. Were you a Londoner or just a southerner, with those sorts of home prices … this is not an impossible asking price, given its condition.


The couple obviously have their reasons for selling they’re not saying … might be family related. For me, personally, my view from 2013 of my hybrid canal and inshore waters craft have altered … within the canal system today, given the changed demographics of Britain … one is now a sitting duck for the new monsters … certainly at this age.  Over in Holland? Who knows?

One thing I did last evening was measure floor space. If they’re 60 feet long by 12.5 wide, then they’re around 7.5 squares, maybe 6 usable. Perfectly good for living, provided you feel no claustrophobia.

I measured my abode and it was around 5 squares all up, maybe 4 and a bit liveable … fine for me.

My theoretical sailing boat, were I starting over again, would be 42 feet by 7.5, or 3.15 squares, of which maybe 2.5 would be liveable … so a great reduction … and yet the deck above must be added, so all up around 4.5 squares liveable … again quite reasonable for a single or couple, certainly not for two independent people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.