Sunday, November 28, 2021

Jazz and blues chantoosies

Last Sunday, I unwisely mentioned that it might be chantoosies this evening. 'Unwisely' because three good jazz tracks by bands are sitting here to play, while I had to go searching for chantoosies.

See, the prob was that there were plenty but they were mainly vaudeville, blues, backed by orchestras etc., not many actual jazz singers, other than those we've heard over and over.  Talk about rod for one's own back.  I referred to this, for this evening's songs, but they were not jazz on the whole, more blues or swing.







I think where I went wrong was there just weren't very many female jazz singers in the 20s - plenty of blues, vaudeville, minstrel, orchestra backed, just not jazz singers and our jazz afficionados here don't like blues it seems - I might be totally wrong on this of course.

Hmmmm, think I'll run the three jazz numbers I have sitting here maybe tomorrow, post-quiz or on Wednesday post-film.

Don't get me wrong - methinks the songs above were marvellous, personally, but what would I know?

2 comments:

  1. These chantoosies are fine by me. Favourite was the Bertha Hill track, I like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva Taylor made fine jazz recordings with her husband Clarence Williams. He was a poor pianist but a fine impresario who assembled super bands. So there!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.