Sunday, November 28, 2021

Sunday [6 to 12]

12.  Strange Sunday

First off, the moment I went back under covers after a decent lunch, all those ills fell away [dropped away].  This thing is definitely connected to the cold.

Having been occupied this afternoon, completely missed the snowfall outside.  Looked just now ... er ... um ... yes.  Snow.  Been snowing on you too?

Now the sad bit.  Friend of mine [in my eyes, maybe not in his, possibly can't stand me] has come a bit of a cropper in the female sense.  This is not good but I'm afraid there was nothing anyone could do, not even them themselves.  Having been in a similar way previously, I'm loathe to advise because nothing I say would have traction.

He'll be reading this, so will a friend in Russia, one in America, maybe one in Melbourne.  They know my story.  For once I'm without words.  I ... er ... can't think of anything to say.  Maybe one thing - it's by no means over for him, all depends which pool he looks in.  There is such a thing as reality catching up, let's say.

11.  There've been certain drops


That's all I'm saying.

10.  Genesis of the Blog-eks

Blogs are the great leveller, cat may speak to a king, all that, and yet some blogs are venerable, they've been around longer than many might suspect.

Take a look at Samizdata, check the archives in the sidebar - they're truly the originals.  Respect.

Somewhere in the mix were Chris Dillow, DK, Tim Worstall, Mr. Eugenides and then of course Ian Dale and Guido, not forgetting Stephen Pollard, Oliver Kamm etc.

There seemed to be a 'class of 2004/5' - these were the generation ahead of mine, not many of those still blog. Check out Longrider.

Our 'class of 2005/6' were more johnny-come-latelies, truth be told and we were not unlike boomers - many of us piling in as blogs took off.  Then other social media really kicked in.  When we started, major platforms were making it easy for people to start up.  The 2004/5 guys were more techies before us, they had to build theirs.

My first full-on computer I bought in Russia in 2001, though my first computer was a Mac 512K-ED and my earliest computing was on Apple and BBC in the mid 80s.  I remember writing commands for some turtle which then went wandering around the floor.

My internet was connected between 2001 and 2003, so I'd been surfing for some time before the blog itself started in late July 2006.  Mostly I was just making a nuisance of myself before then on other blogs.

My first action when visiting a new blog is to look at the About, then the Archives, gives a good picture, together with the upfront content.

9.  Ripper - boilers



Please see the earlier post on boilers, comments section, for the full notes from the boys.

8.  Haiku points out

... a Woke BBC piece about a load of people testing positive for moronic at the end of a flight SA to Dutchland.  Statistically unlikely, says he, unless they were travelling together as a group. Haiku humour.

BBC and Sky UK worldwide are an issue outside the UK.  When I was living away, these were the only two mouthpieces before the net got going and so they became people's reality about Britain.  Now that they've been debunked as the Woke cesspits they are, we have to expect that those out there aren't going to immediately embrace how bad those two MSM oulets really are.  It's the constant drip, drip of assumptions which are simply not so - but now, with countersources, e.g. blogs, there's a chance to see this.

When I was in Russia, the BBC was basically it.  World service.  I've already written about my mate there seeing the death of Arafat, then minutes later ... again ... then fifteen minutes later ... again ... then the whole funeral with commentary for hours on end ... and so on for days.

Same with mass murderer Mandela.

Then Sharon died, or was that earlier?  Summary dismissal ... and at that point, my mate started to get the idea that maybe things weren't as good as made out in Britland.  I myself was only getting any decent news by email or via blogs and boy, were they different to the MSM.

The early blogs could be iffy too, garish, sensationalised - it took years to come up to speed.

7.  Unfunny Woke "comedians"

... and "comediennes", such as they are.  This from AM:


I recently watched Chappelle's latest Netflix specials, Sticks and Stones (2019) and The Closer (2021), because I heard they were "controversial" (i.e., they offended leftists), and I wanted to see what the kerfuffle was all about.  The only thing I found controversial was how boring these two supposed "comedy" specials were.  Chappelle doesn't tell jokes that are unfunny; he just doesn't tell very many jokes at all.  His routines consist of hour-long sermons in which the underlying theme consists of three points:

  1. I'm black and oppressed.
  2. White people are my oppressors.
  3. Any other group claiming oppression is unjustly diverting attention from point #1.

The perpetually oppressed Chapelle (worth $50 million) mistakenly assumed that, as a black person, his place at the top of the left's intersectional hierarchy was set in stone.  He didn't realize he'd been bumped off this perch years ago by the transgendered (who will in turn be bumped off by some other group once their political utility has been sapped).

Yep, about as funny as a root canal or my current health.

6.  Health

Not 100%, internal issues, inc. back.  Blogging's a bit difficult today.

3 comments:

  1. "We are mandating a *poke* where there is no scientific evidence that it has ever saved a single life?"

    https://stevekirsch.substack.com/p/we-are-mandating-a-vaccine-where

    * = my edit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having similar back problems, (due to forgetting my age!), also trouble sleeping, at the moment. Have been keeping immune system refreshed and no jabs so I think it's the cold - have banked up the wood fire and will sleep in front of it tonight. You take similar care now,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re Chappell,at least one of the jokes he does tell is outright stolen word for word.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.