Friday, August 06, 2021

Friday [6]

6.  Enjoying the rain edition


It used to be that snowfields were my summum bonum as a place to be and enjoy.  There was always the sea, on a boat, in harbour, at anchor.  The forest was nice, as was the canal.

But in recent years and in memories, my faves were always when it pelted down or even steadily drizzled, especially if that was on a tent or cabin roof or on a towpath.  Snug as a bug in a rug inside of course.  With a friend.  No deadlines to meet.  Could get to like this lockdown thing.

3 comments:

  1. As someone inflicted with the horrors of tinnitus, I love listening to the sound of rain which seems to counteract my constant discomfort. In the summer, I would sit in the garden summer house or slide open and sit by a patio door with my eyes closed enjoying the, unfortunately, temporary peace. Winters can be awkward, but my late wife bought a little gadget which gives off the sound of rain on various surfaces. A blessing for those with my condition.
    SoT, if I lay on a beach where there is the sound of waves crashing on the shore, I invariably fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived and worked in the Black Country for 18 months (that area just west of Birmingham for our foreign friends) where the region is criss-crossed with canals. I spent many hours walking the towpaths; it kept me sane.

    Walking just west of Wolverhampton a canal boat came up from behind me playing Handel's Water Music. Very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Further to my earlier entry, some years ago, on a trip to Israel, my wife and I went to the Dead Sea, which is about 500 metres below the4 surface of the planet. Whether it was the atmospheric pressure or not, I have no idea, but while I was there, I did not experience any tinnitus. Once I returned to the road back to Eilat, it came back.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.