Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Cinco de Mayo

Having got through all that "may the fourth be with you" rubbish relatively unscathed, it still needed at least something to be posted on sin-ko de ma-zho today.  I wrote it that way because I've heard it elsewhere as chin-ko de ma-yo [as in yo, man] and in some other variations.

There was one youtube where a clearly Mexican woman said it the first way.  I also read that it's much bigger in the US than in Me-khi-ko itself - some US congress said it had to be observed apparently, the Mexicans said, 'Whatever.'

I also get this whole thing mixed up with those spheres they suspend and beat them and sweets fall out - is that the same festival?  I tried my level best to 'watch' some mariachi.  After all, I like tango, some salsa, Linda Ronstadt's and Edie Gorme's Spanish numbers, Tex-Mex food is ok, guacamole is bearable to a point, but the sight of those suits and sombreros on fat males ... well, I just couldn't, sorry.  

Aha, thought I, find a female mariachi band, boy, and see how that goes:



I got through about one minute of that trumpet.  Sigh.  Which leaves me with no choice but to run this:

2 comments:

  1. Just another excuse for Americans to get drunk. Kinda like St. Patrick's Day. No history necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toodles.

    Exactly. What he said.

    It was not the celebratory thing it is today when I was young, at least a thousand years ago.


    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.