Saturday, September 12, 2009

[ripping day] go for a walk, come back and write a letter


Fabulous down by the water though we have quite a breeze over our way. I've just got back and it was a nice ride and walk today. Apparently they have a festival over in Hull and good luck to them - big crowds were never my thing.

Reports are coming in from friends that the weather is superb across Britain ... oops ... England ... oops ... Albion [?] ... and it's too nice to blog. So let's handwrite instead.

When was the last time you wrote a letter to a friend, addressed and sealed the envelope, then went for a wander and dropped the letter in the post box? When was the last time you wrote on plain paper, using copperplate [see pic below]. That's an interesting pic because the writing is on mathematics paper, not writing paper.

There is such rubbish in google images about copperplate - people claiming it is when it is actually cursive and sites purporting to teach handwriting and saying things like: "You might think that handwriting involves buying a fountain pen ..."

Well actually it does and for good reason. If you look at the script below, you'll see heavy strokes [downstrokes] and light strokes [upward flourishes]. To achieve the thick/thin effect, your pen nib must at least be able to spread on the way down and close up on the way up. A fountain pen does this best but a brush will also achieve this. Some felt-tips partially achieve it. A ball point simply doesn't cut it.

The whole point of copperplate, in addition to the distinctive f, j, q, r, s and z, is the straight downstroke and the looped flourish, which involves not only your fingers but your arm, shoulder and mind to make smooth. The essential thing is not to be pedantic about the tricky letters and your idiosyncratic way of doing them but to be pedantic about smoothness and consistency.

Copperplate brands you and writing letters by hand also brands you. Whilst your humble correspondent is a fan of the electronic post, put yourself in the position of the recipient. How would you feel getting a handwritten letter in a good quality envelope tucked in amongst all the bills and such like? How would you feel opening it up with your prize letter opener, lifting out the parchment and reading the six or seven pages scripted by a close friend?

Personally, I'd be delighted.


7 comments:

  1. "You might think that handwriting involves buying a fountain pen ..."

    Beats a hammner and chisel I suppose. I've used a liquid ink pen since 1975, and wouldn't dream of writing with anything else.

    There are risks involved of course, as me being me I succeeded in stabbing myself in the head with it a few years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the old Forehead Effect of Nib-Stabbing [FENS]. Medical authorities have no known cure for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be nice to get something other than bills in the post, I grant you. I went to school in the days when we had to use fountain pens and I' m glad those days are over [in state schools]. Fountain pens are messy things in the hands of 11-year-olds. Throughout my teaching career, I used a fountain pen for reports and I still use one to sign important letters. But my handwriting is now so bad because of arthritis that no one can read it except me! [Writing on white boards is a different matter because you can use a nice, thick board marker.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to receive a handwritten letter. People are less keen to receive on from me given the rotten state of my handwriting.. even I can't read it sometims!

    That said I almost always use a fountain pen - a vintage Conway Stewart by choice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love receiving hand written letters. I do get them occasionally from my Aunt and also from I lovely lady I met through researching my family history.

    Because I can't access my blog at the moment I have been hand writing my blog posts in readiness for it's return. It will probably seem odd to you that I don't just type them out in word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly does seem strange. Cherie, why don't you post your post here [you have rights] and then transfer it across when you can gedt access again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always think best when writing my thoughts down on paper. I then type them up in order later. If it is for my blog it has to be typed up there and nowhere else.

    When I have finished my ideas for today I might do that :-) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.