Friday, September 04, 2009

[macintoshes] sheer class, detested by pc users


It's smooth, it's beautiful and as the review begins:

Mac OS X 10.6, aka Snow Leopard has landed. This time around, Apple goes light on the glitz in favor of some heavy work under the hood.

I have the Tiger:

In June of 2004, during the WWDC keynote address, Steve Jobs revealed Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger to developers and the public for the first time. When the finished product arrived in April of 2005, Tiger was the biggest, most important, most feature-packed release in the history of Mac OS X by a wide margin.

Yo! Sheer class! Now, the new Mac with ... wait for it ... no new features. Ummm - pardon?

That's right, the next major release of Mac OS X would have no new features. The product name reflected this: "Snow Leopard." Mac OS X 10.6 would merely be a variant of Leopard. Better, faster, more refined, more... uh... snowy.This was a risky strategy for Apple. After the rapid-fire updates of 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 followed by the riot of new features and APIs in 10.4 and 10.5, could Apple really get away with calling a "time out?" I imagine Bertrand was really sweating this announcement up on the stage at WWDC in front of a live audience of Mac developers. Their reaction? Spontaneous applause. There were even a few hoots and whistles.

Don't forget that this is a complete look at the new Mac, 23+ pages of it, in fact. Check it out.

So many PC users pooh-ppoh the Mac and detest Mac users, the serene lot of bstds. They say it's not what the real techie uses. They might even concede that it does what it does. What the PC users don't see is that Mac users love their Macs.

Surely that's enough recommendation in itself?

10 comments:

  1. I don't despise mac's, I just think they're overrated and inherently snobbish.
    Personally I prefer a be all, do all machine that 90% or more software is written for and does what it says on the tin.

    Don't get me started on Windows though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only just learning to appreciate my Mac, and well, figure it out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never tried a Mac, and have no bias either way, I have tried linux which is a pain in the arse, even the "new" ones, windows likewise, especially windows 7, which I have on a spare laptop, the snag with it is that you need the latest, spec, ram and video card to run it.

    Are microsoft in with the laptop suppliers? of course they bloody are.

    I don't see a snob thing about Macs just the price puts me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiet Man - Windows is a huge factor in the choice. Most people only need certain functions and when the operating system is reliable and classy then that's enough.

    HGF - Macs respond to the user, even the touchpad recognizes your asage after a while. I didn't believe my mate the Apple guy at first but it's so.

    In the initial stages, it seems pretty limited but that's because the functionality hasn't become apparent and it's almost organic so instruction booklets are next to useless.

    As you feel it and little things like corners start to go with voice commands and so on, you see jsut how fast it can all be. I can get a post up, with multiple links and pics in about four or five minutes, with the help of Firefox.

    In the end, you can't go back to anythig else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angus, didn't see your comment - must have crossed. The price is a big factor, true but when you've been using it some time, you begin to see where the money goes. They always give you enough and then a little more in each area and I don't want to jinx myself but they just work.

    Apple is constantly at you with updates and a few seconds later you're up to speed. What they sell is speed and convenience basically. Tom Paine told me I'd love it; at first I was sceptical but not now.

    Safari's not so good in my book because there's a double click for new tab and it can't be done in preferences, as with Firefox.

    Linux has a lot of good spoken of it by a lot of people but I've heard the oppostite too, as you've said.

    Snobbish? I just really like it, that's all and that increases with time as I get more adept, not diminishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago I had to swap from Mac to PC. It was like time travel, backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You poor thing. There's some nice music coming up to erase the memory of that trauma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw a very pretty 3-month-old snow leopard on Sky. And that's all I have to say about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some people like chinese burns on their willies.

    To each their own I say.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.