Saturday, September 12, 2009

[late evening listening] two halves - part two

This is my late contribution this evening. I ask only that you give it a chance.

Street waif/homeless child [Беспризорник]. Hi Fi combined modern pop with Russian accordion, particularly after 3:03, a blend of old and new. The group sent strange signals - in the video clip, they come on as street-hardened youths but the lyrics undercut it:

I'm alone, like the wind, I drink what the earth offers; after a difficult day, towards evening, the light also wishes to sleep. Where are you, my guardian angel? Take me, if you can, to heaven. I ran away from home to wander in fairytale places. Take me home, Mama, I want to go home. I'll be a good boy.

As you can see, the lyrics and the video clip don't match. This was one reason they didn't take off - their mixed signals put them in neither one camp nor the other, not unlike this blog and yet the song is good:





One of the most respected crooners in Russia but with an eccentric edge was/is Valerie Meladze. He had some great hits and this was one of his staples - Oh, how beautiful you are today [Как ты красива сегодня]. Here is the last verse and refrain:

Perhaps time can help me get you to return; each evening I shall remember you this day. How beautiful you are today; there is, in my heart, neither pain nor trouble. Oh how beautiful you are today, how brightly you shine.

A Russian would smile at the liberties I took with the translation but it was to smooth it out. Why don't you try to follow the words below as you listen to the last verse and refrain? There are two verses and one refrain before this:

Может быть, время кого-то и лечит
Только мне помощь его не нужна
Ты возвращайся, а я каждый вечер
Буду тебя вспоминать

Как ты красива сегодня
Нет в моем сердце ни боли, ни зла
Как ты красива сегодня
Как ты сегодня светла


1 comment:

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.