Thursday, September 03, 2009

[late evening listening] cherie presents ravel and grieg

Ravel trivia:

Ravel is perhaps known best for his orchestral work, Boléro (1928), which he considered trivial and once described as "a piece for orchestra without music."

I'm not sure if Cherie means the 2nd movement of the string quartet but this is the 1st movement:



This is the sung version of Solveig's Song, with [possibly] Solveig Kringleborn. The vid itself is superb:



The orchestral version is here.

5 comments:

  1. It is the first movement of Ravel that I like. There is a particular them in there that I love. It gets repeated with variations throughout the movement.

    You found the perfect version of Solveig's Song. The choristers timing is immaculate it brings back memories and takes my breath away.

    This was one of the first serious tunes I had to learn to play on my clarinet. I played it day in day out until I got the timing right (which is difficult in that piece of music). As a result I live and breath it when someone performs it perfectly.

    I am not saying I played it perfectly just that I know how the timing should be and it sort of catches my breath to hear it performed like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meltingly lovely, the Greig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a teenager I was so into Edvard Grieg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherie - would that I could play.

    Dearieme, HGF - it was a nice version.

    Wolfie - and as an adult?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.