Saturday, August 15, 2009

[state health system] in the russia of the late 90s and the noughties

A polyclinic might be found on the first floor [ground floor] of any large housing block


South African Steve Hayes, of the fine blog Notes from Underground, writes:

My only experience of the NHS was over 40 years ago when I went to a dentist in London. It seemed to work OK then. Like anything worked by humans beings, no doubt it leaves room for improvement.

What was the Russian health service like when you were there? When I was there in 1995, it seemed pretty putrid, and everyone I spoke to seemed to think that it had deteriorated rapidly in the early 1990s.

Steve, on the British system, I'm no expert. These folk say it's bad but this chap, Rick, says it's good [don't mind my feistiness in comments].

My girlfriend's mother was a doctor in the state system and I'd occasionally go to the polyclinic to see her although she was a paediatrician and by all accounts, a good one. I saw people with appointments sitting around and as far as I could see, it operated as it does in the west. People went in, were treated and came out of that room. Different rooms had different purposes.

It was prescriptive in the early days but there was a major move to catch up with the west and a lot of in-service studying was going on with the doctors. Our university [and in fact all institutions] had compulsory fluorographs and near the end of my stay, compulsory biennial check-ups, which had to be seen to be believed.

The fluorographs were OK - a van came near, we were informed and had a couple of days in which to queue up [not too many in the queue]. I was in that van with women mainly and not all were particular about changing out of dress so I thought why should I be any different? The radiologists were perfunctory and Soviet but not unpleasant.

Coming back to the biennial checkup, it was like circuit training in a gym or jabs in the army. One floor of the university was given over to the doctors and it was a case of go to Table A to have your reflexes checked, then to give our sample which we'd brought, into a room for a bloodcheck then onto a bench to wait.

Next into another room where the interview came with a doctor with a quite pleasant bedside manner and he did the blood pressure, next room for the eyesight and so on until the thing was through. Sounds horrible but actually it was all done in an hour and a bit and I didn't mind it. The Russians were used to it.


It did appear to become better as the post-Soviet years went by. Russians adore their children and overindulge them whenever possible - the stern attitude almost always relaxes with children.


The only time I was sick was at the beginning of my stay, 12 years earlier and that was pure Soviet. I had flu and apparently, it was close-to-death stuff - I was diagnosed as having been likely to snuff it if the medicos hadn't rushed to the flat where I was staying. A doctor dressed in dusky military green came and sat down on a chair and directed junior doctors to do the jabs etc.

A special doc arrived and inserted this tar compound down the back of the nose and I tell you what - it cleared everything for weeks. My friends arrived with fruit [and it was damned expensive at that time, mid winter] but that's what people did there - friends and family, de rigeur, stepped in and helped anyone in such a situation.

Look, it was rough and ready but it was mighty effective. The bedside manner no doubt came in later years, when private clinics sprang up.

I can speak of the dentist better and after a brush with the state variety, on referral by my gf's mum [very NHS in its documentation and referrrals], one had to give a box of chocolates to the woman doctor for deigning to see us ahead of the queue and the service was OK. Later, when I had my first filling in the private clinic, the doc asked who had put in the filling which had fallen out and I told him the state doc. He raised his eyes to the ceiling and put it straight.

All that work is still in place, I always had the anaesthetic ... really it was no different to here I imagine except that everyone had disposable plastic galoshes to put over our shoes and these were binned on the way out. There was dispute over payment and my gf had a standing row at the front desk [she was a little lioness] over free treatment in an emergency [some law] and they argued it was not an emergency but the papers were signed anyway and I got a heavy discount.

Plus tea and sympathy later, which was more than nice. Russians don't suffer malingerers or hypochondriacs in their tough life but if someone is genuinely sick, all hands chip in to get the person up and about again.

It was still whom you knew and which clinic you went to but there was, at the end, private choice, at a cost - no health insurance - one paid cash. Or else it was the local polyclinic for your area, long queues, brusque reception and no beg pardons. The Russians went to the pay clinics in droves.

Doctors did too because a state doctor's salary was about $250 p.m. in 2008 but in a private clinic, was half western doctors' salaries - big difference.

Medicine itself - western, drug based. Have a problem? Get prescribed a pill although herbal remedies were still used a lot and I had some of those after dental work. Getting the right herbs was a big deal over there, grandmothers knowing exactly which ones and how. They worked too.

They were humans, the Russians, as we are and much of it was probably a bit as it is with us. I'd appreciate knowing how the South African system works, by the way, if you could do an article on it, Steve. My best treatment ever was in Finland and in an American forces hospital in NW Australia. My worst [and it wasn't too bad, to be fair] was in a British clinic in North Yorkshire.

That's about all I can think of, really.


This picture seems close to what I recall - newer technology coming in, in still old buildings - you can see the ladies are not ogres, as appeared to be de rigeur in early post-Soviet days

8 comments:

  1. I'd be curious to know what the Cuban healthcare system is like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a gander, Hob.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/christina-patterson/christina-patterson-the-big-problem-with-the-nhs-isnt-funding-1772538.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duly gandered:

    I will not bore you now with the contradictory statements by consultants, or the three-hour waits for appointments that were cancelled, or the invitations to appointments for dates which had passed. I won't bore you with the lost files, and the lost X-rays, and the mammogram that turned out to be an X-ray of an ankle, or the surgeon who told me that he thought my approach to a mastectomy (which I didn't, in the end, have) was "a bit heavy". I won't bore you with the nurses who sighed and sulked and were soldered to their chairs, apart from the one who asked me, in a rare fit of bewildered humanity, why I was crying. Er, because I've got cancer and I'm still in my 30s? A teensy bit upsetting, non?

    But I will tell you this. The big problem with the NHS is the people in it. Maybe they start out wanting to help their fellow human beings, to lift them, as our dear leader says, from pain to comfort, from despair to hope. Maybe they fill out a form in triplicate (two of which get lost) saying that they want to help people, and get sent off to training schools: the consultants to one where they learn to flick through a file with a sense of harried self-importance and turn to you briefly and sneer; the receptionists to one where they learn to regard the arrival of a patient as a nasty intrusion in a nice day's chatting, and one to be punished with a lengthy wait; and the nurses... It would be frivolous to mention Abu Ghraib. But tempting.

    And as for the managers, some of whom earn more than the Prime Minister, more even than a GP... Well, let's just remind ourselves that a group of them, from Liverpool Primary Care Trust, have suggested this week that children should be banned from seeing 101 Dalmations because they might catch a glimpse of a cartoon cigarette. How about forgetting being Stalin and sorting out your IT and your files?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minor and passing but true stories from personal experience:

    A couple of years ago in April, my GP sent me to the local hospital for a raft of diagnostic blood tests as (a welcome) part of a preventative medicine initiative. The results returned reported: No Action. Evidently my GP noted that that no returns were reported for some requested tests. In August that year, I received a letter from the hospital asking me to return to the Pathology Dept. as insuffient blood had been taken for my "recent" blood tests. In the event, no adverse findings were reported (fortunately).

    This year, the results of a eye screen were reported by letter without prompting. This was a welcome improvement as in previous years I have had to chase the hospital for the results.

    I could go on relating other instances of poor or failing medical practice concerning members of a current affairs discussion group to which I belong. One such concerns a frail, slim lady in her 80s who was sent for an angiogram - her second - with no adverse results that might account for her deteriorating health. She was then tested for anaemia (a much simpler and less costly, invasive or risky test) when it was found she was severly anaemic. This was not entirely surprising as she had a pervious history of anaemia.

    I could go on. What is perhaps not properly understood is that patients are greatly inhibited about complaining of such lapses and failures for fear of subsequent victimisation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shall I deposit a big fat slew of positive stories about the NHS experience I have had or does it only count if it's negative. Y'know, their saving my mother's life, her fabulous rehab and how we love having her around as a result. My cancer. I could deposit a few stories about the rubbish that masquerades for market based systems from experience in the US but I doubt they would count either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison, that's why I'm running the poll and many agree with you. Many don't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incidentally James you suggested I hadn't responded to you over on my blog. I thought you were being cynical rather than querying. But I actually wrote up a huge post on the topic in the follow up post!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.