Friday, November 21, 2008

[defend the perpetrator] ignore the victim


Bunny writes:

I have a cousin who used to be a great guy. He was funny, clever and had everything going for him. He used to be one of my favourite people to spend time with.

But not anymore.


Because now my cousin is a junkie bastard who can't see anything past getting his next fix. I used to love my cousin who was a great guy. I'd laugh at his jokes, we'd tell stories. He used to be a go to guy.


But not anymore.


Because now my cousin is up for culpable homicide because he bought heroin for a girl and she overdosed and died.
I hope they make an example of him and I hope he spends a long time in jail.

Someone replied:

Heroin is actually the easiest drug to get inside. He'll end up a victim, he'll come out a broken, miserable wreck.

To which Bunny replied:

What he needs is a gold star and big fu--ing cup of tea for helping that girl kill herself.

Right on. Why, oh why do people insist on concerning themselves with the "poor" perpetrator's broken heart the whole time? Touching but what about the victims? Take your pick of issues where this is the case. Here's one:


[T]here is a practice of giving the victim and the perpetrator almost equal billing, often with the implication that the perpetrator's background, family situation or personal woes somehow mitigate his/her criminal act.


Enough!

And another thing - the media should be castigated over its constant beat-ups and complete lack of concern or connection with the events they sensationalize.

Sheesh.

.

11 comments:

  1. True James. But I do believe many of these problems with drugs are caused by their legality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no time for junkies, they are a waste of space. They think they have the manopoly on having had a hard life etc..........well surprise surprise, most of us had it hard, but didn't resort to sticking a needle in our arms etc or commiting crimes in order to do so........don't get me started!!!!!!!!!And I'll shut up about what they do to their children, otherwise I'll bust a vessel.......ANNA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I have any sympathy for this person, I wish I knew what the solution was. One thing I do know is that people can get off teh drug with a will and support. A friend of mine has been clean for 20 years now. Hasn't touched methadone in about 18 years either

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I cannae say I've all that sypmathy for him either, not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking a contrary view....
    In this instance I think both parties are the victim, as anyone in the grips of addiction are.

    He aided and abetted her buying drugs,which may or may not be a crime in itself.And quite possibly the only crime, he committed.

    Is an off-license responsible if the alcohol they sold, that is consumed by a person who then gets into a car accident, responsible for any resultant injuries/ deaths?

    Before assigning legal responsibility,one would have to look at factors such as :
    1/ Was the girl already a user?
    2/Would she have acquired/consumed the drugs without his assistance?
    3/Did he administer the drugs to her directly?

    Unless he actually sold/administered the drug I can't understand why he would be held legally responsible for her drug overdose.

    I know the laws are different in the U.K and a home owner can be charged if there are any drug usage/injury/death on their peremises, even if they were unaware.I don't get that.

    Unless, the girl in this story was a first time user, encouraged by him ,for his own reasons, then no, I don't think he should be held responsible.

    He is not a junkie scum ,in my opinion,but an unfortunate casualty of drug addicion.
    The heroin /dealers are the 'perpetrators' in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's also noteworthy that we only tend to show addicts pity or forgiveness when they die.

    Much like artists, their value is only appreciated after death.

    Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The heroin /dealers are the 'perpetrators' in this story.

    I agree with Uber on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, the dealers are evil and responsable for a lot of it. I smoke, I chose to start smoking and I hold myself responsable for this addiction, I don't hold the shops who sell cigarettes responsable. I don't think it helps the addicts if we take all responsabilities away from them. In fact by taking all responsabilities away from them we give them the idea that they have no choices........so no choice to address the addiction. The starting point for an addict to begin his recovery is to take responsability, so please don't take that option away from him/her. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna,
    No on eis letting addicts off the hook, simply showing understanding for an illness, and an uncontrollable addiction is an illness that affects them far more than it does us.

    Mots heroin addicts were not functional , happy people prior to thier lives spiralling out of control-each day,likely, not worth living.
    The heroin is a band aid solution to blot out whatever initially ailed them so much they needed to self medicate to cope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's also noteworthy that we only tend to show addicts pity or forgiveness when they die.

    It has gone on so long now that we've run out of pity - pity that he doesn't deserve by the way. I appreciated him enough before he thought sticking needles in his arm was a great hobby.

    He's not even the same man anymore. Unrecognisable even...and it's a sad but true fact that he isn't going to survive this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll keep my comment until some more might want to first.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.