Friday, November 21, 2008

[boat design] maximum numbers or maximum safety




This is not the first time this blog has referred to this matter. Look at the naval vessel in the first photo and the ferry in the second. What immediately strikes you is their relative stability. Now look at the third photo and see what you think. Does the expression "top heavy" spring to mind?

Oh yes, you say, but these boats are designed to be stable. They have stabilizers below and all that. Don't they? Well, perhaps you can consider this and this when deciding if things perform as they are "designed" to.

You do as you wish but I wouldn't be caught dead on the boat in the third picture or similar. As a sailor, I'd just like to point out that there are things called storms and big waves and freak conditions out on the ocean.

There's also a thing called human error.

4 comments:

  1. you are right. but I don't think cruise ships have bow doors.

    i note they do not sail in hurricane season either in the carib.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The HOFE had a bow door open. It being basically a large barge it fllooded and keeled over with tragic consequences as we know. I would imagine that the design of that cruise shop took account of its apparent top heaviness in the design

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I have just come back from my trip abroad.

    Shortly before the 'Herald of Free Enterprise' sank I sailed on the Sister ship. That made me stop and think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That vessel in the first photo looks stable enough - but what an ugly monster! The second one's fine. The third - OK I think.
    RORO ferries are lethal. In fact, bow doors are a built-in design fault!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.