Saturday, October 04, 2008

[friends] how does one define these


You know, it's really rather interesting what came out of the comments section on the "hidden readers" post two days ago.

I went into that post believing that some readers who visit me "silently" may be miffed that I hadn't linked back to them. It was in no way an accusation - quite the opposite, as Ubermouth pointed out - I was concerned that I didn't know who was regularly visiting and I couldn't return the visit and she construed it correctly.

This was not explained well though in the post and it's not the first time that I've confused readers.

Into this came Welshcakes' aside that I've been known not to declare myself either and though that is not so in terms of intent, I began to see how this could have been viewed that way. I remember saying to Liz Hinds once [or maybe even twice] that she visits but her avatar doesn't show up. Tom Paine is another.

Now, in Tom's case, it is because he uses his Reader and now that mine is set up properly, I can see that that is a good way to do it. In Liz's case, I see that it was not her doing at all. There is something in the conjunction of personal computer idiosyncrasies and configurations, some which might have been put in place, many where someone simply answered "yes" on a dialogue box and many where the way the computer was set up had caused it.

When I was staying at Welshcakes' in Sicily, her computer did some very strange things and Mybloglog just would not configure itself properly. She went in then and it worked after that but I don't think she actually knew what had changed it. I'm sure Mybloglog know.

Perhaps they don't though and that brings home an important truism - that we are going to have to be damned careful with our accusations, beginning with me. It might well look like someone is doing something but it might, in fact, be a technical idiosyncrasy - enough of them occur on my computer, mainly due to my dabbling and imagining that I know what I'm doing. I'm currently learning PHP, by the way.

This then brings in the question of bona fides. Assuming the good intentions of all the people above, then is there any mischief going on in the sphere?

There sure is. I am fairly certain my emails, if not my computer itself is hacked and my evidence is an email I discovered two days ago, supposedly written by me and supposedly distributed between certain bloggers.

Blogpowerers will recall my opinion on doing that sort of thing - publishing [or distributing] private emails of others and it is one of the main reasons I'm not now there but until yesterday I was cynical about whether someone could actually intercept, hack and alter someone's emails. According to a computer whiz I met, it was easy to do and he proceeded to show me diagrams of how it was done.

The face paled.

Living in Russia, as I did, I'd always assumed I was being monitored and that's why there was never anything left on any computer which could be misconstrued or used - in fact the opposite. I told my friend over there that I welcomed such intrusion - better the knowledge than the suspicion and innuendo.

He mentioned that clearing history does not clear cache and I know that well but even so - that's not the end of the earth.

Finally we come down to bona fides and whether people who purport to be friends are really friends. It was in my Headmaster role years ago that my cynicism really took wing, as time and time again, smiling faces turned out to be treacherous ones. The best way to describe my attitude today is "circumspect". I wish I had a pound for the number of times people have emailed me that I shouldn't assume that such and such is my friend.

I'm puzzled by two things - why people would be two-faced in the first place and secondly, why people would want to combine against another person when their official position does not require it as part of the job specification. Hell, I have too much on the plate to worry the head about that sort of thing. On the other hand, it is true that, as BH honchos, we did email each other to discuss incoming members and I certainly put my point of view there. Still do.

I'd not like the blogosphere to become a hotbed of suspicion and innuendo, as it has so much to offer. I've seen first hand that there are wonderful bloggers who have become real friends and maybe that blinds me to their lesser sides but hell - who's perfect?

Lastly, as was continually being impressed upon me over these past few months - none of us are important enough for anyone to trouble themselves over us so paranoia over what someone is going to do is usually misplaced. The bureaucratic world and even the blogosphere are not necessarily evil - they're just indifferent.

UPDATE: Longrider has a great little piece about drive-by trolls which relates to this post here. Check his out if you haven't already done so.

15 comments:

  1. I was here... I have departed.
    Just so you know, James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are people who will help us and there are people who will hinder us. This is true in every aspect of life. Blogging and the internet don't make us immune to it, it just makes it easier for either of the two to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James

    Sometimes I visit when I'm not logged into mybloglog - as today - and so my avatar won't show up. Normally I'll log in before visiting cos I want people to know I've been around.

    "There's nowt as strange as folk" is very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I never realized it had something to do with logging in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Calum Carr's observation. It all depends whether I happen to be logged on to MyBlogLog or not. On this occasion, it seems, I am, but on others I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My definition of a true friend is similar to love. When one believes the best in them, overlooks the worst and always stands by them, only wanting the best for their loved friend.

    Sometimes people misconstrue the terms friendship and acquaintance.

    Regardless of computer glitches, a friend does not make hurtful innuendos about their friend, as what happened to you.

    Yes, emails can be hacked into and altered, even desktop files amended, to erase or create 'evidence'. I have experienced both of these crimes, myself .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I added this comment about MyBlogLog on your other post before I saw this one.

    When you log onto the site it sets a cookie on your computer. If you clear the cache/delete the cookies it will no longer work. You then have to log onto MyBlogLog to get the cookie reset.

    I don't know why your avatar doesn't appear on Bloghounds, I find it most odd. I had thought it might be something to do with the site itself, but that doesn't explain why it only seems to be yours that doesn't appear. I have not mentioned it before because I do not have a solution for you.

    A possible reason for it just to fail on odd occasions maybe due to a conflict (either on the PC, blogger or MyBlogLog)happening at the same to you try to access the blog. Just a thought!

    In addition the people who have to be logged in for the avatar to appear must have cookies disabled or there is a tick box on MyBlogLog that stops your avatar showing.

    If you think your emails have been hacked, change your passwords etc. Get a good fire wall and virus checker and run a full system scan (if you haven't allready).

    I don't know why people combine against other people, but some people seem to take great pleasure out of it. I have seen it far too often for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This explanation post has left me more confused than ever.

    I do know that people have left a comment on my blog but their avatar has not appeared in mybloglog as it usually does and even checking sitemeter for visitors at that time does not reveal a visitor from their particular part of the world. Very mysterious. One therefore might assume that the person is using a different computer for example but a visit from the country should show in sitemeter. However we all should remember that sitemeter is highly unreliable even though many obsess over its figures. But this could lead one to believe that visitor is using some alternate method to visit which could be a totally wrong assumption and it is all due to technical glitches.

    Now I use a reader myself but even if I do not wish to make a comment I try to click over to those whom I know have mybloglog so they know I have read the post. Those who don't have it I don't bother unless I wish to comment. I am always logged into mybloglog, except for a two week period when my computer was cleaned of malware and all the cookies were removed. I could not log back into mybloglog since it had been bought by Yahoo and my original user name and PW would not work. Eventually I got it sorted. I did not know about logging in and logging out on a regular basis.

    I'm afraid I'm not clever enough to understand the hacking of computers and sending emails in someone else's name but I always assume there are people who can do anything with computers. Unfortunate that it happened to you.

    You know that in real life people are often two faced and it is much easier to be so online. In fact it seems to me people online are can be much nastier than they are in real life. I doubt that someone we both know would have said the things to my face that he wrote online about me. However I will say he was not two faced about it, just wrong.

    I don't think you can really count the people you meet online as friends in the true sense of the word, despite the fact that you feel a very close connection to them. That can change if you meet them and a true friendship develops as has happened to you. But online friends come and go over time, close ties sever as something happens in one or other of your real lives and you drift out of contact or it becomes very sporadic.

    Sorry this is too long.

    PHP? Is that something else I have to master?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think online friendships can develop if both have integrity and it's a friendships based on the same elements of real life friendships- sincerity, honesty and genuineness.
    True they can drift apart- but so do RL friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found this comments section a very interesting read just now and thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend is who increases the font sizes to make the 'moles' amongst his friends happy. :)

    Very eye-friendly read now, James.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm here almost every day- sometimes more than once- but I don't use mybloglog (because I'm a technical simpleton!) and I don't comment on everything (sometimes I just don't have anything to say- shockingly) so probably it looks like I'm here less than I am. That goes for most blogs that I like- for example I have commented probably twice in the last month on Stumbling and Mumbling but go there every day etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I,on the other hand, ALWAYS have something to say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reporting for comment duty Sir. Off to mow the lawn now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Read all these and thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.