Monday, July 14, 2008

[earthquakes] and other fun happenings

Cheated here - this isn't Sicily at all - it's America.

There was an article in La Sicilia yesterday [the dead wood version ]about Mt. Etna and how tourists are determined to climb it, knowing full well the dangers.

Actually, that is my reading of it in my very limited Italian – I was scouring it for meaning yesterday morning over the cappuccino and croissant at Vecchia Caffe, a counterpoint to the news that yet another tourist had been lost to the dreaded Etna.

We actually live further down the coast from there and so the question is not so much rapid lava flow but earthquakes. I was asking Welshcakes and she said there had been a bad one up north in the late 80s and various tremors all over Sicily since then.

I asked if she had experienced one and she said that yes, the walls seemed to move like the beginning of a dream sequence in a film. Wow. When I asked if she thought the Big One was therefore coming, she gave a nervous laugh and said, “I hope not.”

She continued:

“When the sky is a funny colour, not dark, not grey, perhaps ashy and it seems sort of lower than usual – that’s when the Sicilians start to panic. Raffaele apparently said to all within listening distance about him: ‘Hope we don’t all die.’ ”

Hey, I can live with that.

Welshcakes continued: “They’re very philosophical about it here. If it’s got your number on it, they say, then it’s your turn.”

Hey, I can really live with that – makes life a bit more interesting, don’t you think?

So here I sit, typing to you and waiting for the Big One. There are 100 bells in this town which will peal in a Hemming sort of way and we can all ask one another in our mad, frenetic helter skelter flight:

“Did the earth move for you?”

For those who are a little worried about us down this end, I’ll put a helpful link in the right sidebar where you can check out our earthquake or volcano danger on any given day. Actually, the chances are fairly low and from what I can gather, these are our main dangers in southern Sicily:

1. Coffee poisoning;

2. Being run over by a Vespa or Lambretta;

3. Dehydration;

4. Getting closer than 200 metres to local politics;

5. Old age;

6. Volcano;

7. Earthquake.
Touch wood.

9 comments:

  1. Coffee poisoning? Hmmm.....

    Love that photo of Etna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well LJB I admire your pragmatic approach to these matters....Talking of coffee poisoning I'm on my 4th Demi tasse of Expresso...can't function of a morning without it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a great saying. ;0)
    “They’re very philosophical about it here. If it’s got your number on it, they say, then it’s your turn.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you have a long wait... and a comfortable one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funnily enough, an acquaintance of my brothers was in bed with a woman having a little fun *hem hem* when they had an earthquake.
    Can't remember where it was but it was somewhere in Europe. Didn't quite see the funny side, and he couldn't understand why I fell about laughing when he told me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have had more than enough earth tremors hear. Remind me to tell you about the earth tremor and me flushing the toilet sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all - hope I'm here to blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.