Thursday, April 10, 2008

[net tools] roundup of flickr and twitter


This seemed a nice little net roundup:

Flickr video feature spurs online revolt. Not all that surprising to see a mini user revolt after Flickr finally added video uploads. A segment of the user base is unhappy for fear that the photosharing site will lose focus and “turn into another YouTube”.

I don't upload to Flickr but admit to using them for photos on occasions. Video of 90 seconds, available only to Pro users? Naaa - why bother?

Why I deleted my twitter account. I didn’t close my twitter account but cartoonist, marketer and author Hugh MacLeod has done. He says that he finds it “too easy”, and in a brilliant cartoon depicts how uncreative it is compared to longer form blogging.

On the other hand, a post titled Twitter may have crossed the chasm, where he described the service as “cheap” in terms of effort required from the user. Combined with the ‘instant gratification’ you get whenever you log-in to Twitter (i.e. updated content), the barriers to entry are much lower compared with many other forms of online publishing.

I don't use Twitter either as I can't see the point of it. Is it meant to be used as a noticeboard for what you plan to do that day? Would an e-mail to the relevant friend not be sufficient? Perhaps not. As blogging though, it seems a bit bitzie to me.

Then again, Twitterers wouldn't like my style of blogging which places unreasonable demands on attention spans.

7 comments:

  1. I can't see the point of twitter either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been a twitterer and never really understood what Flickr was, either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think twitter is pretty stupid myself, although it sits in my sidebar. Frankly who cares if I am doing the ironing or making a cake or whatever else others think interest the rest of us?
    I should junk it I guess. I don't know much about flickr except it's a place to host your photos and all we blogger people use Picasa so why not use it for photo uploads like Lady Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hesitate to say more because Sally likes it but personally, I prefer her blogposts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Flikr. It's a good place for poets and artists to get inspiration.

    Twitter makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twitter seems a bit fiddly to me, but I can see how other people would like it!

    I sort of got hooked on flickr when I uploaded some photos to make a batch of Moo Cards. There are some wonderfully talented people who use flickr. Not me I hasten to add!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to say, the video seems to be a bit of a waste of time...

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.