Thursday, April 10, 2008

[kiln living] when you can't get out of the kitchen


Long day but not particularly difficult until I got home. Have the final year for lectures and seminars all week and the other years have had more prosaic work than normal.

At home though we have an amazing situation. These housing blocks are centrally heated and the boiler is turned on on the one day in October and turned off on the one day in April. No exceptions, no consideration of the actual weather out there.

It was 29 degrees Celsius on the street today and guess what - the central heating was on in every flat at full winter level. No concept of anyone phoning the guy and asking, "Could you possibly turn it down a little?" No concept in his own mind that the house might need him to mosey on over and flick a switch.

Of course I'd do it myself but The Key to the Boiler is a jealousy guarded thing, touched only by the annointed.

Unlike some of the neighbours, I do have a solution - the airconditioning unit. So there we were, the client and I in a room with the heater blasting and the air-conditioning on full bore. My friend said that a German had admonished her country for being wasteful with resources.

Well, it's true.

The brightest of readers wil have tumbled to the obvious anomaly - why not just open the balcony door and windows? Sounds logical, doesn't it? Yes, sounds logical but it's not possible - ten minutes with the door or window open and the road fumes fill the flat so the door needs to be closed.

So in this state of heat exhaustion my cleaning girl arrived and I took off for the shops downstairs whilst she did her thing. First thing I noticed was that most people were wearing jackets and I had my polo T on. Just as I appear to be out of step with the majority on the gay issue, so I seemed to be out of step on this.

The only way to check was with the young bucks who always underdress - well they had light jackets and T shirts on. This worried me no end because it wasn't normal that I felt warm and they were giving me peculiar looks.

Anyway, now we're here, the balcony is open and I'm blogging to you. And Britain had snow?

Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. I suppose it's all about what climate you're most used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been 32 C here today but cooler as I write. Even the Sicilians are moaning that it's "too hot too soon" but I am cold as I sit here! The minute it goes below 20 C indoors, I have to have heating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20C indoors??
    We were hitting 20 last week and it was almost too hot some days.

    Sunny enough to burn anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you were going to say you could not open the balcony door because of the gale force wind blowing the papers everywhere.

    29 degrees Celsius! What happened to Spring?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, JMB, it appears to ahve passed us by but it might drop back later.

    Bunny, Welshcakes - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being so hot inside it would take a while to cool down!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.