Thursday, February 14, 2008

[tramvai of dreams] there and back by taxi

Wednesday notes

Only spent three hours outside today and the three conditions whenever one ventures outdoors here were duly fulfilled:

1. It's never boring, either positively or negatively;

2. Something superb, beautiful or funny always happens to you;


3. Something else more dire cuts the euphoria.

The last one came first. So warm you couldn't wear a hat and the jacket was like a furnace - the temperature was up to zero and the snowline is beginning to recede three weeks too early. Deep depression. Our beautiful snow - please let it snow tonight.

Only went in to the uni for one group - new girls in the third course and today was their first day, not only at the uni but also in this city. It felt strange explaining "my town" to eleven newbies who will take some time to get used to the big smoke, even though they're Russian and I'm not.

Instant chemistry - girls here are receptive and giving - except for one who might be a bit of a handful later. So in a great mood, made better by the car actually being in the right place at the right time, it was back to the shop near my place and the penny dropped about what I really enjoy over here - it's the amateurishness.

Allow me to explain. Did some shopping in the minimart and then went to the counter where they serve the meats, cheeses, salads and so on. There's a new girl there and we talk about this or that but every time I order a salad, she packages it up, clingfilms it and then the machine breaks down on her - this was the third time today.

So she goes all complex and red and scurries away to get someone to fix the machine and then takes it personally, as if she was responsible. At the check out, a girl comes over and reaches into my basket and pulls out the pizza I'm buying, turns to her friend and says that this is the new stock they got in today.

Two other girls come over and one looks at me and asks if I like that flavour. Then the first puts it back with one hand and the cashier continues checking.


I know that sort of thing happens in parts of Britain but I couldn't see it happening in America. You can't get angry though as it's a form of acceptance. Welshcakes has a lovely piece in a similar vein about Sicilian and British culture.

The pizza wasn't all that good, by the way.

Thursday notes

It's snowing, it's snowing and heavily too - the air's full of it. Hallelujah and my French lady has just departed and her perfume was magnificent and her accent sends me quietly crazy.

The coffee was excellent, courtesy of my best mate who had earlier given me a birthday package of chocolates, wine, coffee and so on, knowing this lady was coming later and she also came with little prezzies - naughty after I warned her not to. Everything has "gelled" so far today [touch wood], even down to the taxi driver literally taking me door to door. Phone call from the love of my life and her voice went through me too.

The taxi driver was talking of his idea of heaven on earth on the way - shasliks, snow-laden forests, skis, cognac and one's girl. Had to agree with him that that is as close to "rai" as one can get here. So, a bit more on the book and visit a few of you as well.

Hope your snow is nice over there. Oh yes, happy Valentines Day. Forgot about it.

Happy Valentines to all you Valentines out there!

8 comments:

  1. Birthday package? I thought it's the 23rd. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but I have a Birth Fortnight, not a birthday - have to extend these things, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wouldn't like the snow so much if you had to shovel it.

    Happy Valentine's Day James.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Valentine's Day, Bretwalda, you sexy mother, you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I know that sort of thing happens in parts of Britain but I couldn't see it happening in America."

    It depends on how pretty the girl is...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are full of the joys of spring in the middle of winter, regardless of Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Valentine's day, my 'cyber lover' XO

    You're hard to stay mad at!
    Romantic aren't I?

    Did you even notice I was mad..or away?

    That'll get the tongues wagging *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link. Great post - sorry I'm late!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.