Wednesday, February 13, 2008

[debate] does that mean flaming?

You know, ever since one commenter's comment:

What is missing in all these pages is something that certified bloggers always miss, the addition of concurring comments, more links to useful information, stuff that creates synergies.

But any site that relies on visits from other bloggers, to the extent that this one does, will fail. False agreements of support will fail in the real world ...

... I've been reflecting on the "character" of blogs and the people they attract.

Relying on other bloggers

This site does not get so many fellow bloggers visibly appearing, which the comment above erroneously suggests it does and very few visitors comment, compared to, say, Mutley. In any hundred visits, there would be 8 to 12 blogger visits.

One commenter said there was "something wrong" with a site where there is no debate. I think what he means by debate is "flaming", with people throwing insults all ways, as he seems to enjoy. Synergy, he'd term it.

Links

He seriously suggests I don't link to further information or to other sites? And yet it's true there really is little debate here and I wonder why.

For example, the post on groupthink was one of my more serious. Now, glancing at the zero comments until last evening, one could be forgiven for thinking that no one was interested. Not so. On "entry pages", this post was leading by a long way.

Nature of this blog

From the beginning, my friend over here was worried about the unpredictability and the vast array of topics covered - worried that if you were interested, say, in ceramics, there'd be a post here on it with links and labels to other posts on it but it wouldn't be a "definitive work" on the topic. This is the Achilles Heel of a wide-ranging blog.

On the other hand, this blog assumes that the visitor does not have a one or two track mind, that when he/she comes here, his/her interests might be wide-ranging enough to find something else readable as well as the central theme.

There are five threads running through this one, other than the lack of debate:

1. wide array of topics and unpredictability in their choice;

2. a more 'ladies and gentlemen' tone than the in-your-face blogs;

3. a tone which suggests the blogger is of a certain age and outlook;

4. little time to get about and interact - maybe the big killer;

5. time zones - I'm asleep when the Brits are getting ready to debate.

In the end, I'll stick with the type of blogfriends I have, thanks very much. There might not be so much Tim Ireland/Guido litigation fun but I think I'd prefer what there is. I find all that slanging off at each other and threats of lawsuits tedious. And I would suggest that the post which brought this post on in the first place was an example of debate.

Each to his or her own, I suppose.

15 comments:

  1. What strikes me most in what you've just said there is the fact that anyone cares enough about what you write about, to comment and tell you what's wrong with it.

    If they don't like the blog content then they don't have to read it.

    It's a marvellous thing the internet. You can just turn it off when you see something you don't like.

    ps. The groupthink post was interesting. I just didn't have anything constructive to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange, isn't it? The posts that I think could cause debate don't get a single comment; homespun silliness, on the other hand, usually gets a few. I suppose that is the nature of my readers.(All homely and silly?!! Surely not.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps people are put off posting a remark because of the highly articulate nature of the original post. That is never a problem on my blog....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oestre - it's a free medium all right, with different shades.

    Liz - that's the thing but it doesn't mean homely and silly. I think there's too much of the 'non-felt' posts and not enough of your type.

    Mutley, you've a top blog with your own character. Hasn't anyone heard of fun or has that gone out of fashion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think debate is one thing and flaming quite another. The former tends to tackle the ball whereas the latter tends to tackle the player.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you've given the original comment more gravitas than it deserves. Blogging is a self-publishing medium and is ultimately narcissistic. We do it because we want to; there are no rules and if synergy happens, well, so be it... But it isn't a requirement. Nothing is a requirement and success or failure is in the eye of the writer. Do you consider it a success? if so, then it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, one of the reasons I keep visiting is that I never know what I'll find here and I like the range of topics and writing styles, even when you enrage me! I find your links good and you engender plenty of debate so I see no need for you to change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, one of the reasons I keep visiting is that I never know what I'll find here and I like the range of topics and writing styles, even when you enrage me! I find your links good and you engender plenty of debate so I see no need for you to change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Welshcakes. I'd say two things. Firstly with some of your big posts- like the post on groupthink there is just so much to argue about and with that its hard to get a single point to come back on. Often when you cite so much, I just don't have the time to go through and unpick when I disagree or add when I agree because I have other things to do- like write my own blog. That doesn't mean your article is valueless to me- but it does mean that I don't neccesarily have something profound to say about it.

    I love the variety of topics- its what keeps me coming back- also if you remember once I wrote on this site a post about wallace and gromit that variety and eccentricity were virtues- I think they still are. One of things I hate is when Bloggers seek readers by just forcing the blog into a particular shape- that strikes me as a profession of conformity and I dislike conformity. Also the other thing is that you introduce your readers to topics they wouldn't know about- the post on ceramics for example introduces me (who is a political, historical, cinematic person) to something a bit different and its very worth while.

    I think the blog is about where it should be- though even more subjects would be good. I want to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also visit because i never know what i will find... some posts interest me others don't :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jailhouse Lawyer, Welshcakes and Longrider - thanks and you make good points.

    Tiberius - half suspected that but more importanly, you reminded me of the Wallace and Gromit post and I'm going to run it again tomorrow for those who missed it last time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I agree with both Welshcakes and Gracchi. Often it is difficult to make a comment because a particular post covers too many things that one could comment on and a comment could become as big as the post. Besides that all takes time and we all have lots of other blogs to visit so I might have thoughts on all the posts but only comment on one briefly if I can be succinct.
    You definitely mix it up and that is of great value to me. You have the butterfly mind with which I too seem to be equipped, hopping all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I quite like to visit the likes of Bloggerheads every so often but I know full well I wouldn't like to run a blog of that sort. Then again I probably couldn't!

    Whatever type of blog we have, so lonmg as we enjoy blogging then it doesn't really natter if we get occasional comments or a flood of them

    ReplyDelete
  14. James, you make me think about stuff, which is why I am a Nourishing Obscurity addict.

    That and your charisma and charm, obviously.

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Link to this mingers blog James and we will give him all the 'debate' he can take. :)
    Your blog is top two of my favourites ( tied for first) above my own.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.