Monday, January 21, 2008

[round the world] record smashed

Joyon's IDEC II

Exciting news not just for the yachties:
Frenchman Francis Joyon [51] has smashed Ellen MacArthur's solo round-the-world record by more than 14 days, finishng his circumnavigation in 57 days, 13 hours 34 minutes and six seconds to beat MacArthur's mark set in 2005.

He set off from Brest on 23 November and crossed the finish line on Sunday. MacArthur [31] congratulated Joyon but has not ruled out trying to reclaim the record one day saying "records are set to be broken".

But the 31-year-old confirmed any attempt would not be launched in the next year because she was already committed to other projects.

Apparently, Ms MacArthur was at the finish line to greet him and that's the thing in this sport - the camaraderie, even when there's rivalry. In my own racing days years ago, we'd fight tooth and nail and then have a hot tea together later in the clubhouse and analyse the whole thing.

Perfect example is the Little America's Cup for C Class catamarans - the racing was fierce but the camaraderie amazing, even down to the winning crew inviting the others to have a sail on their boat. The only other sport I know where we'd try to knock the other's block off and then have a meal together is Rugby Union.

Contrast that with the America's Cup itself which is marred by protests, underhanded tactics and obscene amounts of money. Of course, this description fits The Money perfectly so we know with whom we're dealing in that situation.

Leaving that aside, it is exciting though and raises the question of whether people should attempt these things or else spend it on education and social services.

C Class Catamaran Cogito

One other small matter is that what I've done in this post might be seen as precisely what I was moaning about here. Oh well, I plead guilty.

3 comments:

  1. Contrast that with the America's Cup itself which is marred by protests, underhanded tactics and obscene amounts of money.

    I am not in a general, a very sporty person. I'm not a particularly competitive person, there are things I'd rather be doing somewhere by myself.

    But that statement pretty much sums the whole idea of sport up for me. I always thought that without the camaraderie then where is the sport? I always looked upon the whole enterprise as an opportunity to meet people, to have fun wtih people with similar interests who might in turn become friends. There is nothing wrong with a bit of friendly competition or rivalry but it would seem when money is introduced, all 'sports' take on an entirely different nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to add that it's the same in rugby but you beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't see why it matters, myself - record-breaking and all that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.