Saturday, January 19, 2008

[unsung blogs] talent largely undiscovered

Disclaimer: the following post makes no reference to this blog in any shape or form. The author is not referring to himself at any stage of the proceedings in any category below nor is he fishing. He'd vastly prefer the issue itself to be addressed.

You know that Blogpower was originally designed to promote and support new blogs and the assumption was - blogs of quality. Speaking of quality in a blog, one might just as well speak of defining love. What on earth does it mean?

The blogs which survive seem to have an angle, a manner of writing which is fresh and the output is fairly constant. The blog is fun to visit and we want to return to see what he or she's posted next. We feel we "know" the author. Despite his many detractors, Iain Dale deserves his place at the top for his constant output and consistency. The angle and the scoop are his thing.

Some blogs, as everyone knows, are whatever the current jargon is for non-blogs, i.e. offshoot blogs from a previous project or special, slick sites with poor navigation and transparency which disguise an already established pundit who wishes to try a new project out on a new readership.

Having said all that, it's always been a source of wonder to me how one or two major blogs, which will remain unnamed, are lauded and repeatedly visited, when all they are is news commentary, with the occasional original angle, on the Telegraph, Guardian or Washington Post. They read the papers as we read the papers and then rattle something off on the story of the day, as we also do.

A news story breaks, they comment in their blog with fairly constant typos and that's it. Few graphics, no originality and yet they get upwards of two thousand readers a day. It has to be that they are so prolific or else they're seen as good guys by a section of the sphere. Or else they have kudos in some other sphere, e.g. the MSM or in IT. Who knows?

Don't get me wrong here - there are some fabulous exponents of the art. Some simply rise above the rest, such as Mr. Eugenides, bloggers who really do have the talent to not only see the more ridiculous aspects of the news but can write them up as well.

Then there are the blogs where the personality of the blogger seems to be the thing because the actual output is nothing more than what he did last week or else tits and bums. These guys get mega-readerships and good luck to them.

The blogs which concern me most are those with either true talent or something that little bit different about them and they don't receive their due. Not only that but they're too modest to shamelessly promote themselves. One of these is Ruthie Zaftig and another is The Broadsheet Rag. A more established blogger with a steady readership is Longrider who should be up in the mega-class. Now I don't know what their stats are but I'm willing to bet that the stats are infinitely inferior to the quality of the blog.

It amazes me that they don't enjoy greater kudos in the sphere. I know they have loyal readerships but that's not what I'm referring to. I mean a mass readership. Perhaps TBR could be a bit more transparent - the "About" says almost nothing and it's nice to know at least something of the author. [I do know one or two things but not openly.]

In the end, there are just too many blogs and trying to seek out the good ones is a largely hit or miss affair. If only there was some way for true talent to naturally gravitate to the top - some sort of mechanism to enable that. This "mechanism" is something very much running through the mind at this point in time.

13 comments:

  1. Unique visitors: 2981
    Number of visits: 8510
    Number of hits: 91498

    Since the 1st January. This seems to be fairly consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you James, you're very kind. But life is often unfair.

    Just think of all those poor, poor, X-factor rejects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Longrider - oops, my mistake. You're too modest in demeanour - that's why I thought it.

    Rob - your time will come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, is that good? It's been pretty much stable with slight fluctuation for about the past 18 months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady Bretwalda - do keep suggesting new and interesting blogs - I tend to stick with the ones I know and enjoy new blood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I joined blogpower recently, just before the proverbial hit the fan, I thought it was an organisation which sought to rectify this wrong. Unfortunately it doesn't. To be successful in the political blogosphere I feel you have to be aligned to a political party. If you are particularly successful, the local sock-puppets might turn up and promote you further.

    Is there a way we can all promote good independent blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be great if there was an actual way to seive through all the blogs, mainly I tend to just trawl through other people's blogrolls. If other people are reading them and like them enough to link then I reckon there must be something good about them.

    But it is very subjective is it not? What one may call talent another cry's dross.

    Bloggers depend on word of mouth I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you on this.
    I think comedy blogs are vastly under-appreciated for the level of difficulty required in writing comedy.It DOES have it's place.

    Yours and Ruthie's blogs are superior though, in content and writing style, to the usual blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a source of constant regret that my blog is so terribly undervisted when compared with my viewing figures. The problem, as Mopsa says, is that people stick with what they know. Even my own dear wife rarely moves beyond eBay, Amazon, and Yahoo when she trawls the net! Judy is an extreme example but I think there must be people who treat blogs in the same way. They never give us little bloggers a chance...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must get a counter, then I can worry about my stats. I am guilty of having nothing on my blog except words, and the very occasional picture, so I'm grateful for any visits at all.

    But ultimately, I do it for me, and the bonus is that some readers come back again and again, which I love.

    Is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  11. James you are right- sadly I think its about attention span as well- which means that blogs that get more attention are those with short and predictable posts. However I'm not entirely sure that the point of blogging is actually stats for me its something else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know how a lot of those "news blogs" get so popular either - they are little different from the comment sections of the online papers they are part of. Could it be that they are in some way less demanding to read than the original report? I do think a lot of the mega-blogs have authors who are already famous in other fields but agree with you about Dale - also about Ruthie.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.