Wednesday, September 12, 2007

[ראש השנה tonight] and don't forget رمضان tomorrow

Blow the Shofar!

Rosh Hashanah
[ראש השנה ]

This evening is the evening of the Jewish New Year - Rosh Hashanah - a happy time and happy new year to Jeremy Jacobs and family and all others of the faith! Responding to his request:

* Are we better off now than last year?

Sadly, overall, I think not - economically, politically, socially and spiritually. However, perhaps we understand more now than at this time last year.

* Did we spend our time and energy wisely?

Some did - I started my blog, as did you and it was time well spent.

* What difference did we make to people's lives?

I hope brought some of the truth into the open and helped people improve in the corporate sphere.

* How is this year going to be different from all other years?

If you mean next year - the positive thing to say is that we might just be able to check the inevitable drift and cause some sort of return to more altruistic values.

Shana Tova Umetukah! Ketiva ve-chatima tovah!

1: Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob.

2: Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery.

3: Blow up the trumpet in the new moon, in the time appointed, on our solemn feast day.

4: For this was a statute for Israel, and a law of the God of Jacob.

Ramadan [رمضان ]

From Thursday, September 13th to Friday, October 12th, 2007, Muslims should refrain from anger, envy, greed, lust, sarcastic retorts, backbiting, and gossip and put more thought into their faith. Seems good advice for all of us.

O' Allah be pleased with my fasts, in this month, as Thou gives credit to those who (sincerely) observe fasts; and (be pleased with) my special night prayers, in this month, as Thou gives credit to those who pray (sincerely) in the night; direct me to be on guard and pay attention to free myself from the lethargy of forgetfulness.

O' the God of the worlds overlook my wrongdoings, and grant amnesty to me, O' He who shows sympathy to the wrongdoers.

Allah be with you all.

Christians

May peace come to adherents of both religions and all hatred and intolerance be washed away in the joy of this special time.

6 comments:

  1. Well said. If only all people who claim to worship the same God would stop fighting over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's all just respect each other and our different beliefs.

    A few words on the poll. Your blog is really slow to load, sometimes nearly impossible. I noticed mine is slower now too. It think my problem is all the photos I now seem to post, although my sidebar is getting more crowded. You have a lot of stuff on your home page.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem for me to load, but I'm at work on a great machine/system... I'll let you know from home tomorrow.


    Happy year 5678 (I think) my Jewish friends. Now if we could get you to come on board with the Messiah already having come, we'd be peachy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's all fine. What, however, do you think about Obadiah Shoher's criticism pf Rosh Hashanah as aholiday that has nothing to do with New Year? Here, for example http://samsonblinded.org/blog/petty-paganism.htm

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.