Thursday, September 13, 2007

[hip hop] more than a way of life

Matt Murrell ain't sure bout this hip-hop quote:

Philosophically Hip Hop is best thought about in the same way as radical western philosophical movements like existentialism and libertarianism that promote freedom of thought and expression.

Oh, I don't know, Matt. Think of the most profound philosophers - Augustine the Hippo, Tiberius Gracchus, Heraklites, Immanuel Kant, Philo of Alexandria, Jean-Paul Sartre, Socrates, Bob Piper, Neil Clark or Polly Toynbee and then compare their major works to the dulcet prose of the hip-hopper below [whose link I've lost - so sue me] and you'll see the rapper wins hands down:

Ode to a Shag

imma buy you a drank ooo then imma take you home with me

i got money in the bank shawty whachu think bout that

find me in the grey cadillac we in the bed like

ooh ooh ohh, ooh ooh we in the bed like

ooh ooh ooh, ooh ooh young joc

[verse 3]

wont you meet me at the bar respect big pimpin

tell me how you feel mama tell me what you sippin

u a certified dime piece deserve louy 1-3

150 a shot 3 for you and 3 for me

im checkin yo body language

Fabulous stuff - simply fabulous.


4 comments:

  1. I wish I could write stuff of this calibre. Unfortunately I can't, as I'm a musician.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, the hip hopper every time!!! Didn't Ruthie have a great post on hip-hop a while ago?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh James, when I saw this snippet of hip hop in your comment I thought you had written it yourself and was thinking how hip you were!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.