Monday, September 24, 2007

[amon duul] ever heard of them?

I've just been distracted for two hours or so reading reviews.

Don't know why but this guy reminds me of Matt Murrell in that he tells it as he feels at the time and he'd have to be one of the most unusual reviewers I've read. Flawed - from his selection to his way off comments and then he gets it exactly right:

I hate Pink Floyd. No, ladies and gentlemen, my name is not Johnny Rotten. What I honestly feel is that the Floyders are probably the most overrated rock band in man's history.

Certainly, they are worthy. A very worthy band - even me, who's not a fan, could go on speaking of their advantages for hours. [I just don't want to because thousands of people have done so already].

But the kind of praise given to them, the endless sell outs, monster radio hits, unrestrained critical and fan worship - none but the Beatles received as much, and even the Beatles don't seem to receive that much nowadays ...

… which of course you might disagree with but hey - this is straight down the line opinion from someone who actually knows his music. Then I see he's from Russia and gulp. Some very interesting bands sprinkled in there too, like Amon Duul II [a sort of German Joy Division] and Faust, who I played a lot of in my radio specials I now can't believe I ever did.

6 comments:

  1. I don't get Pink Floyd. I know it's all very clever, but it doesn't move me, so it's nothing.

    Not Russian, but I believe it's about the Moscow football team:

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gaxB5qRSq1I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to say, but I rate the Floyd very highly.

    Wish you were, one of the greatest albums of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, 'Foxtrot' or 'Selling England by the Pound'.

    I see a best in the Prog category developing here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim - their green coloured album [can't remember] wasn't bad and "Careful with that axe, Eugene". Can't watch Youtube on my current system, sadly - doesn't support it.

    Crushed - thought you might. :)

    Grendel - could well be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Radio specials I used to do as an occasional DJ. It was German Cosmic Music [don't call it Kraut Rock] and even now I'm trying to find a copy of the Can track Dizzy Dizzy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.