Wednesday, July 04, 2007

[ten quotes] who owns them

You probably know the quote. Whose is it? :)

1] You will recognize, my boy, the first sign of old age: it is when you go out in to the streets of London and realise for the first time how young the policemen look.

2] Nothing really wrong with him--only anno domini, but that's the most fatal complaint of all, in the end.

3] I refute it thus. [kicking a stone to disprove non-existence of matter]

4] Four legs good, two legs bad.

5] Water, water everywhere and all the boards did shrink …

6] I can resist eveything except temptation.

7] To betray, you must first belong.

8] I can't tell a lie, Pa. You know I can't tell a lie. I did cut it with my hatchet. [apocryphal]

9] But my dearest Agathon, it is truth you cannot contradict. You can without any difficulty contradict Socrates.

10] People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.


For fellow slowcoaches

SH, JH, SJ, GO, SC, OW, KP, GW, S, AL


Answers here ...

10 comments:

  1. Seven. Failed the first two- sorry to say was unaware who the gentlemen were- and the last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, three. Who the heck is Seymour Hicks? displaying her ignorance for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to ya over here! Have a great day. Visiting via Winfred Mann's page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five this time James. Two of the others I recognised but had not a clue who from and the clues didn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. donald - hello to you too. I'll be over to you later.

    Bag - well done again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JMB - Seymour Hicks is from the 19th Century.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I commented on this yesterday! Oh, wait, perhaps that wsa when Younger Son came in and started talking to me. That could be it.

    Anyway, 5 out of 10 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Four. That's a chilling one of Philby's, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz - stranger things have happened. WC - yes indeedy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.