Saturday, June 09, 2007

[your role in life] greatness thrust upon you

The old Twelfth Night line about some having greatness thrust upon them. I was reflecting on this, after this from Ellee Seymour:

"proven ... leadership qualities and global contacts"

We were discussing Mutleythedogsdayout and his amazing rating in the other poll going on at the moment and I replied:

"Mutley is the Henry V type. A naughty boy now but give him some responsibility and he'd be one of the best."

Now that got me thinking. If we were, let us say, rudely thrust into the political limelight, what role would suit us best? In other words, which role would we take to, like a duck to water?

In my situation, there isn't any role in the British system. In temperament - the Chancellor but I'm no economist and don't wish to be PM. I have no ambitions in that direction. :) The U.S. system though - ah, there's a role tailor-made for me:

Secretary of State

Consider the qualifications required:

1] No discernible talent nor achievements of any note;

2] A mongrel attitude and as ugly as sin;

3] Divided loyalties, suspect contacts and the ability to play all sides;

4] Substantial world contacts;

5] A murky past and some very shady deals;

6] Some organizational talent;

7] Hard-driving and strong-willed;

8] Temperamentally preferring the role of "power behind the throne", rather than the throne itself;

9] Insufferable ego which, strangely, does not translate into ambition;

10] Pretends he's a saint.

Yep, I'm a snip for this role. Now, if we could do a double-package constitutional change to allow non-U.S. born candidates to assume office, we could have something going here. I'm just going off to write Arnie now. Although I think he has the Prez in mind, between you and me.

The other role I think I'm cut out for is The Envoy. As Warren Zevon sang:

He's got diplomatic immunity
He's got a lethal weapon that nobody sees
Looks like another threat to world peace
For the envoy
Send the envoy
Whenever there's a crisis
The President sends his envoy in

Looks like another threat to world peace
For the envoy
Send the envoy . . .
Send for me!

And what about you? What's your ideal role?

6 comments:

  1. Nice post, James. I think you'd be a good US sec of state. I'd make a hopeless politician as I wouldn't be able to agree with any party line for long and I'm too shy to canvass votes. [I'm embarrassed even to do it for Blogpower!] But I'd like to be Minister of Education because the post needs someone who has taught - and at the sharp end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you stood for office, Welshcakes and I'n sure you'll see people agreeing with this here, you'd be a shoe-in. You'd make a good Ed Min.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry V, at least as we see him in Henry IV part 1, is a bit more complex a chap than a bad lad who makes good when given some responsibility, James.

    Here he is at the end of Act 1, scene 2, when we've just met him for the first time. In the previous scene we've heard his father about how worried he is about his son's behaviour and loose companions, and we've just seen the young prince in company with Falstaff and co, planning a robbery and thus confirming the worst. At the end of the scene, Hal soliloquises:

    I know you all, and will awhile uphold
    The unyoked humour of your idleness:
    Yet herein will I imitate the sun,
    Who doth permit the base contagious clouds
    To smother up his beauty from the world,
    That, when he please again to be himself,
    Being wanted, he may be more wonder'd at,
    By breaking through the foul and ugly mists
    Of vapours that did seem to strangle him.
    If all the year were playing holidays,
    To sport would be as tedious as to work;
    But when they seldom come, they wish'd for come,
    And nothing pleaseth but rare accidents.
    So, when this loose behavior I throw off
    And pay the debt I never promised,
    By how much better than my word I am,
    By so much shall I falsify men's hopes;
    And like bright metal on a sullen ground,
    My reformation, glittering o'er my fault,
    Shall show more goodly and attract more eyes
    Than that which hath no foil to set it off.
    I'll so offend, to make offence a skill;
    Redeeming time when men think least I will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NotSaussure, you have set me straight again in your usual inimitable manner. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James, Why not accept the role of Foreign Secretary when Mutley forms his first cabinet?

    I'm sure Mutley is already considering his front bench team...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I confess it I am a 'power behind the throne' sort. I would definitely be the Prime Minister or the head of MI6. I already have a fedora.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.