Thursday, April 05, 2007

[copperplate] the handwriting of choice

Practise the lettering. It will become easier as you go on.

Nowhere is the dearth of appropriate values in modern life more visible than in handwriting. The almost manic rush of modern living plus the dire straits in which the education system finds itself, have conspired to all but eliminate the standard script which our parents used and which is now only taught in a handful of independent schools.

The internet hasn't helped either.

It's dismaying to hear and read people today call something 'calligraphy' which was, after all, just standard writing four and a half decades ago.

Here is a fragment from an interesting history of the writing form:

Copperplate evolved in the earliest part of the 18th century due to a need for an efficient commercial hand in England. The "secretary hand" (a cursive variety of Gothic minuscule), the "mixed hand", and the more elegant Italian cancellaresca testeggiata had given way to something plainer and more practical. Two varieties of a new "copperplate" style became common: "round hand," the bolder of the two, was considered appropriate for business use, and "Italian," a lighter and narrower form, was considered the ladies' hand.

There is no mystery to the writing.

Firstly, it needs a double ended nib [pictured]. Ballpoints are, quite frankly, an abomination and militate against decent writing.

The theory is that every time the nib is slightly pressed, the pointed ends come apart and the line is thick. As this is a progressive pressing and lightening, the effect is a thick line with graduated ends - pleasing to the eye.

All up strokes and flourishes are made by lessening the pressure on the nib, the ends come together and the line is therefore thinner until it finally peters out. This is the 'mystery of calligraphy' - no mystery at all. Ballpoints or any other form of pen which do not allow the thick/thin alternation are therefore anathema.

Felt tips can be all right in some situations.

So why isn't everyone writing this way?

1] It's not taught any more. In the 1970s, it was deemed too messy [children got ink on the hands], too difficult to learn - it took discipline, a word not in vogue in the 1970s.

2] A new form of writing, called 'cursive', was introduced. The theory went that it was traumatic to the child's mind to go from print letters to joined print letters then suddenly to copperplate. This was the era of phonics as well but that's another story.

3] The 'cursive' abomination, meant as a transitional form of writing until late childhood, actually became the norm and no one wanted to move up to the old script, beautiful as it was. Life was too short to write carefully and neatly. There were things to do, no time to pause. Thus the form almost died.

Interestingly, when I came over to the former Soviet Union, I taught some children the copperplate, expecting to be met with fierce resistance, as is the norm in the west. They took to it like ducks to water and it's true - the two styles are very similar, even if one is in Latin characters and the other in Cyrillic.

This is a fascinating history in itself.

So what's the point? Well it's not just for lovers of beauty in all things. It really does open doors for you. People see your handwritten note or signature and realize you had a good education, maybe even classical. You feel good in yourself as you see beauty flow from your pen and not just some scratchy spider scrawl.

And the good thing is that, with the refinements in the pens these days, the messiness has gone, the blotting paper and the whole paraphernalia is not needed and it's as easy as keeping a pen in your inside top pocket. It certainly impresses when you whip out this pen to append your signature to some document or other.

As for receiving a letter through the mail from someone who has taken the time to write to you this way, it gives a very warm glow, you'd possibly agree.

14 comments:

  1. I do agree. My late brother had a love of the "hand" in writing. For his fiftieth birthday I gave him a calligraphy set, because of his love of the using of pens in writing. It is unfortunate, but I do think the art will be lost with modern technology.

    It would be wonderful if this art was re-introduced to the youth of today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`ve often admired the way of old writing. My writing was fairly nice once but now it seems to have goten sloppier. With the internet these days, a fresh hand doesnt stand near the chance it seems.

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another impact of the new technologies is that we lose the ability to spell. Automatic spell-checkers go a long way to cause this. I'm getting into the Samurai tradition of writing Kanji... just for the fun of it.

    WM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just bought a new pen with the obligatory bottle of black ink, only last week. You cannot beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm completely with you on this one, James, though I have to admit that as I now have arthritis in my hands, my own handwriting is terrible these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "When you write legibly, you respect other people." In the former Soviet Union, I remember it very clearly from my school years, it was the most motivating and convincing message, which kept us,little kids, to write the lines without irritation, with understanding that you learn something really important and meaningful. Thank you James, for bringing up this truly cross
    cultural topic.
    Igor Victorovich

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the relationship with spelling. I believe we will have a generation that cannot write or spell effectively. Computers take away the need to form words and spellcheckers just fix words. No need to think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comments. Occasionally we take a post seriously [always for some] but this is one of my more serious posts.

    Lee, I'm trying to do my little bit this way.

    T&M, the internet need not stop it.

    Winfred, Kanji? Explain!

    Guthrum, well done, sir! I'm with you.

    Welshcakes, I hadn't considered the arthritis - it would restrict it horribly.

    Igor, thanks for the Russian take. I presume you are in Russia.

    Colin, the spelling thing worries the hell out of me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see this blog has not been used in a very long time and do not know if any one checks it any more but I shall leave my thoughts anyway.

    First of all I am 19, my name is Daniel, and have always had a weird obsession with colecting pens but both my handwriting and spelling have been to my endless anoyance atrocious all my life due to a mix of both dyspraxia and dyslexia, so i dont write nearly as much as I should. So I have set out on a quest to fix this as I do agree with the comments here, we are a generation that can not spell, most of them being dragged up on text speak and it disgusts me completely, I would however like to contest the comment about losing this beautiful art to modern technology, for myself I would not be able to be doing research and learning this art if it wasn not for the internet, for the doors that it closes it opens more in their place. What is making this a dieing art is the classrooms with a failing syllabis, and sheer human lazyness the help is out there for those like myself wanting to look for it but not many people do.

    I apolagise for my spelling and gramaticle errors, i'm sure there are many, but despite proof reading it I can't see any more, I haven't long started my quest and still have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see this blog has not been used in a very long time...

    What do you mean not used in a long time? About five posts a day does not seem dormant to me.

    Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How refreshing to read that copper plate is still used. I was taught that way in the 50s and feel sometimes when complimented they mean "isn't she quaint and old-fashioned" It's just as quick and easy as any other way. I agree, we'll all be writing shorthand in text & emails soon. So goes grammar and spelling too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I have stumbled into something very dear to me, it is so very important that we adhere to values of good grammar, correct spellings and beautiful handwriting! I have just had a text message that read, "ok m8"

    I am 37 and I still practice and practice my handwriting almost everyday!

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am 44 this month. I suspect I was one of the last schoolchildren to be given ink pens to scrawl away with until we mastered them. However, my writing was still not very good. At 15 for some reason, I bought myself a book and a pen and tried to emulate copperplate. As I got older my style developed slightly and moved away from true copperplate, so my writing will never be as good as that of my Grandparents. However, my writing is often commented upon as being very nice. I think, more to the point, it's very unusual and not the usual mess.

    Not surprisingly, I quite agree with all the comments posted thus far. It seems to me that most people can't write, spell, punctuate or indeed construct sentences these days. I despair of apparently intelligent people who fail in these simple tasks and I also find many letters I receive are devalued by such mistakes. I blame a school system which from the late 1970's did not want to be bogged down with such issues as handwriting or spelling. Apparently it was more important that the 'creative flow' was not interrupted by children worrying about such trivial matters. Personally I do not think such constraints hindered the like of Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Keats or Owen, but not to worry....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, RBC - your comments are greatly appreciated. It's indeed a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.