Tuesday, April 10, 2007

[blog regulation] you can take your sheriff's badge and stick it ...

As mentioned in the Blogfocus:

Naturally, the Voluntary Code of conduct has raised its head again. Guido has the last word.

Now, via Longrider, via Timmy, This. Longrider goes on to say:

In a word …No. I do not need a code of conduct; I’ll run this place however I want; like it or lump it, the choice is yours.
Again, via Timmy:

“This blog is my property and runs to my rules, changeable as they are.”

I wouldn't put it so politely:

If any scumbag tries to regulate us in any shape or form he can get knotted. I shall not submit to censorship in any form.
The fact that I usually don't need to anyway is no business of anyone but me. Well, my blogfriends too, of course. Again, via Longrider, this comment from Jeff Jarvis:

“I don’t have to pledge to act civilised. I just do.”

[Paragraph deleted by the author but it appears in the next stand alone post.]

If you disagree with Blog Regulation, please visit here
and get the banner for your site:

6 comments:

  1. Since the ones who would follow a Voluntary Code already do and the trolls who wouldn't don't, I don't see much point in it. However the discussion may make some of us (them actually) think about how close we (they) come to the line. So I see no harm in floating a trial balloon which might raise someone's consciousness.
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a no deletion policy at present. I don't want to change it. I believe I can handle any trolls without it. I hope to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not deleted any posts since this morning.

    A post by you @ 5.34 pm is still there - aren't you just mistaken?

    http://www.order-order.com/2007/04/back-from-venice.html#comment-8910392217555475211

    On the substantive point - it is all piss and wind. Don't read comments if you think they are shit, don't read blogs you don't like.

    But to censor blogs you don't like is wrong and almost impossible to do in law.

    The Western world has signed up to human rights treaties which protect our rights. Forget the dead-tree-press whinging. The web has just changed the way the written word is distributed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a "it's my blog and if you don't like what I do, don't comment" policy :)

    I so far have only deleted spam that got in, but I reserve MY right to do with my blog exactly what I WANT to do with it.

    I will not change comments or delete anything without leaving a reason, but that's just being nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As to the logo- I prefer the finger one!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.