Sunday, March 11, 2007

[pluto] yes, venetia, it really is a planet


Venetia Burney gazing over Hydra, Pluto, Charon and Nix. Now the demented denizens of a dark demesne, the astronomo-technocratic mafia, have taken her planet away from her. But help is at hand.

Blognor Regis is really onto something here:

State lawmakers will vote Tuesday on a bill that proposes "as Pluto passes overhead through New Mexico's excellent night skies, it be declared a planet." I fully support this move.

I do too, as is evident here, here, here and here. I call on all good people to give this little girl back the planet she named. Nix to them! That's the home of my sanity they're playing with. As a lady of course, her own thoughts on the matter, in 2007, are less vehement :

"At my age, I've been largely indifferent to [the debate]; though I suppose I would prefer it to remain a planet."

2 comments:

  1. Quite right, James: it's a planet! I didn't know that little girl had named it so thanks for an illuminating post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James. I didn't know where Pluto's name came from either.

    Let's at least run with the polite fiction - Fledermaus, it's not really a maus - and let the stickler astronomers call it what they will.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.