Monday, January 22, 2007

[repeat after me] robots are our friends

What do you think of the group of university scientists from Warwick, Cardiff, Dublin and Newcastle universities, funded by the European Union, attempting to create a breed of robots designed to work together as hospital nurses by 2010, two years before the Big One?

I really love the explanation:

Project leader Thomas Schlegel explained the goal of the IWARD project was not to replace medical workers but rather increase the interaction within European hospitals. The idea is not only to have mobile robots but also a full system of integrated information terminals and guide lights, so the hospital is full of interaction and intelligence,' he said.

Won’t that be lovely? When you’re sick and dying in future, you can be attended, not by pesky human type entities with long legs and pretty smiles but by Medbot the Android who, like T-1000, can decide how much medication to administer, how to strike up a conversation with a human primitive and if necessary, when to terminate said HP, if it gets a bit uppity like.

Can’t wait and remember whom we have to thank for it – the lovely folk over at the EU.

6 comments:

  1. Fascinating stuff, Of course they are going to replace humans, else why would they be created in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's this "big one" you keep talking about? I'm rather worried now, do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd rather be tended by a robot than visited by a publicity-seeking politician if I were in a bad way! I always used to dread having an accident and being visited by Diana - having someone so perfect-looking sitting on the end of my bed when I looked terrible would have finished me off!
    Yes, what is the "big one"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My answer, such as it is, is in the next post. Thanks for the comments, Ellee, Wolfie and Welshcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the thought of waking up in hospital and finding a leading member of the Government or Opposition was there for a photo-op...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having a couple of robots to do all the heavy lifting of patients on the ward would be fantastic. Unfortunately, the NHS couldn't afford them. I don't think I'm going to be replaced by Robonurse any time soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.