Friday, January 19, 2007

[guido] the rich get richer and the poor …

It all began, as far as I can see, with this attack by Tim [the manic] Ireland, giving a point by point account as to why Guido Fawkes should be struck off. Countless other bloggers got in on the act. Then Paul Linford weighed in with this:

Keen observers may have noticed that, with the possible exceptions of UK Daily Pundit and myself, the debate is thus far polarising on political lines....

That may well be so but I don’t consider myself to be particularly left wing and Guido’s account of the tiff:

Skip this if you have a low boredom threshold, because it is for the geeks. Guido himself is basically simultaneously bored by, but amused that the blog boycott / de-link call has so spectacularly badly backfired, with hits up again to a new month and year high at 2,345,463 page views yesterday … so it looks like it is over and normal service can resume. So, for old times sake and just to wind Blog Brother up one last time, here are yesterday's stats. On Day 2 of the link boycott, Blog Brother himself slipped from fifth to sixth ranked link referrer…

… does not fill me with love for the man. Some time back, on someone’s blog, Guido’s alter ego commented and I commented under it, supporting what I thought were his essentially correct remarks. I’m not ‘naturally’ anti-Guido. But I am anti-bignoters who crow about their stats and for whom it’s the only purpose of blogging.

I have just been through his blog [thereby contributing, in a miniscule way, to his already swollen stats] and I’ve come to a conclusion I hope is not jaundiced:

He may have once been a good blogger. Who knows? He’s not anywhere near the blogger Iain Dale is now. Whatever one says about Iain, his posts are well-written and are not constantly self-referential [not constantly were the words]. In other words, he delivers product. Plus there’s Doughty. Doughty can’t be ignored, it is heavily influential and well put together.

Iain Dale contributes to the blogosphere in other ways too. He’s forever analysing it, creating lists and running drinks evenings for bloggers of a certain bent. Which is where Guido comes back in because he was one half of the latter event and all credit to him.

In the end, for the life of me I can’t see what 2,345,463 people see in his blog and why he wields such enormous influence. I can name eight to ten blogs immediately which are better and that was the primary purpose behind Blogpower. To give the top blogger [without the readership] a small chance.

I have no personal beef with Guido. It’s just a Dr. Fell situation, really.

8 comments:

  1. James I agree with you. Guido just leaves me cold- its not that I have a fervent opposition to him at all- its just I'm not that interested in what he writes and don't find him that funny or amusing. I don't learn much from being there- loads of people do- good for them, doesn't mean I have to and that's why I don't link to him- no great objection- just he ain't my kind of blogger. As for the moral objections that Ireland rose- I suppose I'm not that interested in teh minutiae of commenting on each other's blogs. Yes I don't like gossip but I'm not sure Guido invented the genre. I don't like the homophobia on his blog but ultimately the reason I don't go there isn't any moral objection its just that isn't my kind of thing. I'm sure he wouldn't read mine either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love Guido because he was brave and so wonderfully anarchic but more and more often now, I don't know what he's talking about. This may be partly due to the fact that I'm not in the UK and up to the minute with all the news from there, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the Gracchi I agree absolutely. I'd also like to say thanks for reminding me of my second favourite nursery rhyme (it still doesn't quite beat "Hark, hark the dogs do bark").

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a lot more into Guido recently. I think his stuff on Cash for Peerages has been excellent.

    Iain's is a great blog too but it's missing that special something that I think Guido has. Possibly the fuck the world attitude, which I rather like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have looked at his blog a few times, but I have to say that it is boring and virtually unintelligible to Australian based Scots with limited interest in British politics and certainly not the tattle end of the spectrum. There are so many better bloggers dealing with the same material.

    ReplyDelete
  6. James - love the post, don't agree with the anti-Guido stance. I see your point and understand it, but I'm with Guido, in so far as my utterly insignificant opinion counts for owt. As far as I can see the campaign against him does indeed have political overtones and has been conducted in a rather shrill, self-righteous way, with the suggestion that the blogosphere has some sort of set of rules. Now we belong to blogpower out of choice and can leave any time: the rest do precisely as they choose and long may the blogosphere remain that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. some sort of set of rules

    AKA Common Decency.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Justin, have to agree - it is, isn't it? Common decency. That's the blog rule.

    Thank you Tiberius, Welshcakes, George, OFU, Colin and Tin Drummer - we've given Guido a right working over now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.