Tuesday, November 14, 2006

[richard hammond] back behind the wheel

Taking his Morgan sports car for a spin with wife Mindy, Richard Hammond told Britain's Daily Mirror, "I will remember this day for the rest of my life ... As I got into the driving seat it felt like I was back where I belonged." After being dependent on his wife since the accident, he was thrilled to turn the tables. "Mindy was a bit damp-eyed," he said. "She has been my driver for the last few weeks and I have been dependent on her."

Hammond, who kept to less dangerous speeds for his comeback spin, had to pass a series of complicated mental reasoning, memory and problem-solving tests to win back his driving licence. But he said the crash didn't affect his confidence on the road. "I didn't have any fears or nagging doubts about driving again," he said. "I have been a passenger in a car many times since the accident and I haven't suffered any flashbacks or anything traumatic. "I was never worried that I wouldn't get back my driving licence. It was just a case of when ... I am aware of how staggeringly lucky I have been. I could have died."

1 comment:

  1. That is truly amazing. As a trustess for a charity which cares for brain injured adults, I was really concerned about any long term damage. I hope RH continues to make good progress and enjoyes driving his Morgan. I was taken to the South of France in one once, unfortunately, it broke down on the way home and we had to take the train from Paris where my handbag was stolen. But that's another story.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.