Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Midweek movie




I'm one who always had this near the top of the canon with The Living Daylights and For Your Eyes Only ... more inclined towards FRWL than Goldfinger, did not like TMWTGG at all, nor Moonraker nor Thunderball.

Over the past few years though, I've cooled on the film due to certain things always criticised by detractors which I didn't buy back then but can sort of see now.  One is 'this never happened to the other fellah', plus trying to use Connery hair, the voice dubbing if that's what it was and for me, the weakest part - the English bird he was meant to be smitten by.  Sorry ... ah ... no.

The one clearly the fatale was the white shirt and skirt, tall plus the pink-clad American girl.  Lazenby was criticised for his romance but I thought he did quite well on it, I know Diana Rigg did not detest him, she's said so but any English speaker winces at least a little at an Australian accent not in the final cut], plus he was badly advised and acted as a horse's backside off set.

The colours at the chalet were garish and awful, inc. the way the girls were dressed and his own browns.

On the massively good side were ... the romance, Louis Armstrong's song, Olympe [my fave and the mafia boss's, played by Virginia North], the boss himself, the scene with the copying in the office, the attack on the chalet, many other bits and pieces and I shamelessly stole the night in the stables with Tracy and plonked it in my long book in the Julia section.

What was Lazenby's strength?  The fights of course ... he can handle himself, that boy.  Your counter-opinion is of course welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.