Monday, September 13, 2021

Getting a good schooling

There are just a few things I speak or write little of and one of those is my schooling, which occurred in two countries.  

Suffice it to say that there were five schools all up which li’l ole me attended [one of those being nursery and one Sunday], plus four higher institutions, my subsequent academic career then being in many institutions across four countries, not all English speaking and two involving training teachers, with much lecturing and public speaking along the way, as well as being involved with the state again producing educational materials, plus promoting commercial educational materials at many schools.

Two of those schools [as a pupil] were what the English confusingly call public schools - though they’re hardly public in the sense of state run. The only school I attended as a pupil, run by a state LEA, was at primary level.  Much of my grasp of the three Rs comes from that school - it was a time when children were still being taught and brought up well … soon after, that was to cease in the west and education went downhill … and not only in state run schools.  

I can put a year on that sudden decline across the west - 1971 - and another year of sudden decline in England and Wales - 1989 [Nat Curr].  A more steady decline was the induction of teacher trainees over the decades, progressively less educated and more Woke until the point where only the Woke were being allowed in by the Woke. Ignoramuses I’m afraid to say.  Sad, sad state of affairs.

So it was interesting to note the same decline in the US - I never knew they’d also gone the higher or grammar school route over there as well.  This is by Andrea Widburg concerning her own school she’d attended:


I’ve written before about the fact that the leftists at the San Francisco Unified School District were able to use COVID to achieve a long-desired dream: They killed the special academic status of Lowell High School which had been, for decades, one of the top schools in America. The problem was that Black and Hispanic students were having problems qualifying for admission to Lowell. Rather than raising them up, the leftists dragged Lowell down. And nothing shows this more than the two-page introduction to the new administration at Lowell or the racist material on the website.

While I know that most of you don’t care about Lowell, the school’s boastful handout about its administration as it embarks on a new school year is noteworthy because it is a microcosm of the leftism that has infected just about every school, whether public or private, in America. It is a reminder that the best thing you can do to drag America back from the precipice is to get involved in your local school board.

You can see the handout for yourself here

I’m ashamed [or not] to admit that my own schools were almost entirely WASP and I only rubbed shoulders with those from another ethnicity long after my formal schooling was done. Oh how handicapped I must be.  What a throwback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.