Thursday, June 24, 2021

Try these

What we're after here is the song title or the work it was within, then the artist[s] or composer.  It's a cooperative effort rather than a competition:

1.  When you were a young boy, did you have a puppy, that always followed you around?

2.  When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother, what will I be, will I be pretty, will I be rich, here's what she said to me ...

3.  “I speak of love awake I speak of love in my dreams, to the water, the shadows, the mountains, to the flowers, the grass, the fountains.”

4.  I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical, I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical.

5.  You're talking to a tourist, whose every move's among the purest, I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine.

6.  She said, 'There is no reason,' and the truth is plain to see, but I wandered through my playing cards, would not let her be.

7.  “And the stars were shining, and the earth was scented; the gate of the garden creaked and a footstep grazed the sand ... fragrant, she entered and fell into my arms.”

8.  If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now, it's just a spring clean for the May Queen. Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on.

9.  But February made me shiver, with every paper I'd deliver, bad news on the doorstep, I couldn't take one more step.

10.  Dirty old river, must you keep rolling, flowing into the night? People so busy, make me feel dizzy, taxi light shines so bright.

11.  ... and he sat down next to me and said, "Kid, whad'ya get?" I said, "I didn't get nothing, I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage." He said, "What were you arrested for, kid?"  And I said, "Littering." And they all moved away from me on the bench.

12.  Words, words, words, I'm so sick of words. I get words all day through - first from him, now from you, is that all you blighters can do?

23 comments:

  1. #2: Que sera, sera. You can't say I don't have my finger on the pulse of popular music for the young.

    #4: G & S. But which one? Pirates of Penzance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang on. #12: My Fair Lady?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 - who was she?
    4- G&S of course. Song or different work?
    12 - yes. Song? Singer? Not an easy answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2. Que sera sera. Doris Day, The Man Who Knew Too Much
    4. Pirates of Penzance, Gilbert & Sullivan
    5. One Night in Bangkok, Murray Head, Rice, Ulvaeus and Andersson, Chess
    9. American Pie. Don Maclean
    10. Waterloo Sunset. Kinks

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Tina Turner River, Deep Mountain High

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect so far!

    1. Well, I'm gonna be as faithful as that puppy
    And no, I ain't never gonna let you down
    'Cause it goes on and on like a river flows
    Lord, it gets sweeter, sweeter, sweeter, and heaven knows
    And it gets sweeter, baby, oh, as it grows

    8. Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know
    The piper's calling you to join him
    Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
    Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came back to #1 but my comment hasn't shown up Tina Turner River Deep Mountain High.
    8. Looks familiar Stairway to Heaven?

    Can you hum the rest lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent. Now, N7 - Mr. White said, in James Bond, to his wife, that T was not for everyone. By the way, this blog front page is a paler shade of white now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. #4 is the Major General song
    #6 is Procal Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale
    #11 is Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh?


    "By the way, this blog front page is a paler shade of white now."


    Procol Harum will be doing a last fandango then but that ain't number 7.

    One of my (now late) friends had that at his wedding - the intro - the bride walked down the aisle to it. The olds had no clue that it was a "pop" song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not so strange DR - At my second (and final) wedding the bride walked in to Enya - Sun on the Stream..

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQ70Zv0JMQ

      I thought it cute at the time, how the backs of her hands dragged along the floor as she walked down the isle... After signing my life away, she was dragged out to another Enya track - Hope Has A Place.. Yeah, right..

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNcqJb5lmr8

      Delete
    2. This was 1972 Ripper and the church organist agreed to give it a go. We were sat there stifling giggles because we were amazed they got away with it, the church regulars were very rigid in their ways. Their marriage lasted until he fell to his death in a climbing accident about 14 years ago. Still miss him and WSoP always reminds me of him.

      Delete
  11. All correct.

    7. T arrives looking for her lover, Scarpia artfully arouses her jealous instincts by implying a relationship between the painter and the Marchesa Attavanti. He draws her attention to the fan and suggests that someone must have surprised the lovers in the chapel.

    9. Poor Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought 3 and 7 might be the problem. One is Puccini, one Mozart.

    With N12, who dubbed for Audrey? In the stage version, Julie sang.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Puccini one must be Tosca so that's #7 taken care of.

    Just looked up #12 dubbing Marni Nixon - never heard of her. Julie Andrews on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, unless I’m very much mistaken, that leaves us with the Mozart ditty in 3. :)

    Our evening political about 7 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Figaro Figaro Figarooooooo! God knows who did it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mozart did. A song from Ripper coming up at 9 p.m.

    DR - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kevin B

    3: Cherubino, Nozze di Figaro, Mozart.

    And it's a long time since I was a randy adolescent disturbing all the women of the palace like the Cherub. Unlike Mozart who was a randy adolescent all his life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1 River deep, mountain high
    2 Que sera sera
    3
    4
    G&S Modern Major General
    5
    6Whiter shade of pale
    7
    8
    9 American pie
    10 Waterloo sunset
    11
    12

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.