Monday, June 21, 2021

Time for a football post

As I've no intention of paying the slightest mind to the Euros [except for teams I support, i.e. those not taking the knee], then the logical thing is to look at Bama football [still not the season yet] or Oz football [very few posts since 2011].

Had a quick look at the ladder [table] and it's most curious at this time:


In fact there are a number of observations:

1.  Have a look at the win-loss record over the last five rounds.

2.  For the Cats to win the "flag" [premiership], they'd need to be placed about third or second - when they end up on top, they always blow it.

3.  There are 18 teams, most I don't like and interestingly [for me alone], only two "enemy teams" are inside the eight.  ["The eight" means the teams who will play off at the end of the season.]  Those two are Port Adelaide and West Coast - don't like em at all for various reasons.

4.  So there are six teams in the playoffs I like and that's unusual, although it's early days yet - this round is where all teams complete their byes and everyone is on equal games played finally - therefore this is a mid-season benchmark.

5.  Richmond was my stepfather's team, I didn't mind them, he married my mum sometime after father died, I used to go along and watch some of their games, living in their area for sometime, but then they took over the MCG as their "home" ground and that wasn't on - 17 other teams detest them being there, as it's a huge advantage in finals.  Always dangerous, even from 8th.

6.  Sydney Swans were South Melbourne and I don't mind them - I used to sail in South Melbourne [near the Grand Prix course], they don't have many flags, they're ok, except they have the wood on the Cats, always have had and I generally pick them over the Cats in any pools.

7.  Brisbane are a curiosity - I started half-following them in 2001-3 from Russia, loved their brutal style of play, one of their [brutal] backmen [Chris Scott N22] is now manager/coach of the Cats.  When the Cats travel up to play them, they always take a week and enjoy the beaches on the Gold Coast - very popular road trip for many teams.  If they won the flag - wwweeelll, I wouldn't cry.  They're an amalgamation of Brisbane and the Fitzroy Lions [inner city team from Melbourne] that died.  Maroon and blue colours, also my colours, apart from navy and white.  They're ok.

8.  The Doggies or Dawgs are like the Dawgs in Georgia - just up the road, neighbours, had a young lady friend who was keen on them, used to go with her to watch the Doggies. Not many flags, they're ok, quite like them really.  Only issue is the Cats are in there too vying with them and so am not allowed to support them just now.   That screenshot a couple of days back was the Cats beating the Dogs after the siren [whistle].  

9.  Melbourne are the team of the MCG or were - they sprang from the MCC in 1856, the oldest football team, royal scarlet and navy - my mum's team and she made me support them over Geelong at one point but then I returned to Geelong, my father's team.  They're more than ok, they're fine, they've had hard times since the early 60s.

10.  One more curiosity - most football teams, historically, were inner city working class boys but not the two oldest teams [nearly oldest in the world].  Those two teams were Melbourne and Geelong.  Melbourne were always silver-spooners [part of the cricket club - public school boys, the old City money].  Geelong were the landed gentry, the squires or rather the sons of squires - western district farming money, hence they could afford the best players outside of the Melbourne city area.  When Geelong won in 1963, all the other teams called them the foreign legion because they'd bought players from every state.

11.  So my fave teams in that comp are Cats, Melb, Lions, Doggies, Swans, Tigers, Hawks [not in the eight just now].  I seriously would not cry if any one of those first four won in 2021.  Truly.

All right - good thing about the comp hotting up just now is that at least it rids the websites of the girls.  I love the gals in things they are good at, they're good at so many things but not playing football.  Went to the club site and groan ... guess what there was?  

Sigh:


The one amusing thing about the gals is that each can claim to be Catwoman. I feel sorry for the Dogs' women.

In America, my faves are Alabama by a mile but I also don't mind the Dawgs, Clemson or sometimes, not often - Louisiana.  My teams here [I'm not watching them at the moment because of this kneeling disgrace] are LFC, AFC Wimbledon, St Johnstone, don't mind Leeds, QPR, West Ham, Wolves, Millwall, Fulham, don't mind Chelsea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.