Sunday, June 21, 2020

3 p.m. notes

Looking at this 'which N.O.' biz, WPdotorg is clearly the only true blogger platform at this time, and then only because of a 'classic editor' plug-in but the bulls of bashan are closing in on bloggers nonetheless.

Interesting from haiku is this, with him saying, 'Dream on, no it isn't':

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/06/20/2322233/largest-distributed-peer-to-peer-grid-on-earth-laying-foundation-for-a-decentralized-internet

The only problem with the net from a blogging perspective is the bstds controlling the platforms and their useless script-kiddies who can get nothing right at all.  The aim is to have us happily blogging and tweeting about innocuous things, under tight control - remember two-tier internet?

My neighbour is a perfect example of Everyman.  If you stand midway between our two doors, on my side is a furious war for civilisation going on but for how long?  I had a phone call about such things with my mate earlier, the phone went dead.

On his side, Everyman, through his door, his reality is Sky and BBC, I told him about those two excrescences, plus he has some handheld electronic game, plus his family calling.  He knows what we've discovered, he doesn't pooh-pooh it, he just doesn't know the history and how the war is happening, and doesn't really want to know, though he's polite about it.


Back to this site here - looks pretty enough, images are not as good to edit as at WPdotorg, the comments system is the issue.  I do NOT like moderation because it's patronising and time consuming - Blgr do not have their game together on this.

However, there are ways around.  A couple of hostiles have got comments through so far because they've played by the rules but there are ways around that.  The good people - well, it's a pain for them - so sorry 'bout it, chaps and chapesses but that's what we're caught up in.

I've just been discussing the whole thing with my techie mate and he asks different questions to the mid-techie.  He says my set up is insane anyway and has given me ways to test and redress.  That's not interesting to you, so moving on - bottom line is I can't use WPdotorg NO for the foreseeable, until I can get around MS and WP itself.  Blgr/Ggl still like me because I have an account.

In your case, you have your own issues - you may have toxic IPs as I'm suspecting I do now.  There are ways around that but you don't know them and I'm not saying.  I only know because I'm rapidly being taught how to.

I'll be reviewing the site here both visually and functionally, it's a great site for layout and editing in some ways.  Once MS lay off and let me back in over there, well who knows?  Many decisions in the next few days.  Thought I'd bring you up to speed.

5 comments:

  1. Late note - at 16.34, I was on one of my Safari devices, clicked on NO Dash to check comments and guess what - 'this page cannot be reached'. Whaaa?

    Now this is on the Ggl/Blgr dash, not my old WPdotorg dash. In other words, Blgr was down for me. Went to a Windows device, used Chrome, did everything the Ggl way and got in. After a while.

    Very, very interesting, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, was/is the version of WP and all its adons and widgets up to date? I remember reading something about problems of non updated WP adons a few weeks ago allowing script kiddies to take over a WP site and use it to serve up malware. If that is the case you need to check the computers you use to access the site and, if necessary, wipe the disks and re-install the operating systems then wipe the WP site, including the database, re-install WP and restore the database from a known good clean backup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was the latest but we’re going over one item at a time. James.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mr H. Stay safe, stay sane.

    I know I said that a while back, but it's now relevant in another way...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a computer vwesion of the wuhan flu.

    The rigmarole here too, just to post this comment !!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.