Saturday, July 25, 2009

[washing] ruined on the line, teen sex and swine flu


Wasn't it Aesop who wrote a fable where one set of animals brought in a law which benefited them but the other group said that, for them, it meant certain death? Well, this is not life or death but it does show how Britain's summer affects us differently.

Posh Totty [great name] decries a summer which can act in this manner:

I get up in the morning and the sun is shining, so rather than use the tumble dryer, I hang the washing in the garden to dry, I much prefer line dried washing. But before it has had chance to dry properly, it rains, and it rains hard. So out I run frantically un-pegging various items from the line while getting soaked myself in an attempt to save my clean washing from getting an extra rinse.

Yes, PT but look at my situation. I was living in Russia where the continental summer gives temperatures of 35 or 36 Celsius day in, day out and the buildings built for the Russian winter are heat boxes. Then I went down to Sicily, where the temperature every day, high up on a rock, was 41 or 42 degrees. I've lived many years in Australia where the heatwaves last days and can be 44 to 46 degrees. In Western Australia, I walked through 52 degrees for a minute.

Therefore, the rain we had yesterday was a dream and has kept the British summer this year down to tolerable levels, not to mention what it has done to all the greenery around. :)

In other news, Prodicus asks the quite reasonable question: "What was the first adult book you read?" Nick reminds us that today is United4Iran Day and North Northwester thinks he only has his son's flu and not that nasty other one. One can only hope so.

Lastly, Letters from a Tory is concerning himself with the religious aspects of teen sex and pregnancy, exploring the idea that sex is to be avoided.
.

5 comments:

  1. Rain is fine, but it should do it overnight ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First adult book: hmmm- first proper history book was AJP Taylor's on Britain between the wars. I agree with you- rain should do it overnight- or when you have got home just as you are pulling up the chair by a warm fire and about to start a good book with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see where you're both coming from but I just love rain, whenever it droppeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing against the rain, just hold off until my washing is dry, my dog is walked, kids have been to the park and stay away on our holidays and day trips lol.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.