Saturday, June 20, 2009

[twenty4seven] are you dreaming



This is a group which always puzzled me. When they were in vogue, so was Betty Boo, Paula Abdul and MC Hammer who was soon to drop the MC. Dance music and Game Boys were the rage and at this time, I was back in England, I'd bought the Twenty4Seven cassette and had it on quite loud on the way back from Newcastle in the little roadster. This was when Take That was in full swing, also New Kids on the Block and East 17 were about to come on the scene, so you can gather the tastes of the people in the car.

They were polite about Twenty4Seven, one said he'd seen a vid and the group danced well, the girl was nice and that was that. They didn't diss the group but somehow it didn't capture them. So, as I said above, I always wondered about it because they were big in Europe and did well worldwide but not in the U.K. for some reason.

Now that this music is out of vogue, I suppose I'll never find out. I can only surmise that the sound was a bit thin and they appeared a bit amateur, esp. at Top of the Pops. I don't know - they had the rhythm, the dancing, the girl's voice and the regulation suggestion of rap. In the end, I suppose it was that the girl's singing was of a different genre to Captain Hollywood's rap. Maybe the 'love the world' lyrics didn't move people who were looking for a harder edge - it killed off MC Hammer, after all.

See what you think. This was their biggest hit.

6 comments:

  1. I don't recall them every doing well here, at least I don't remember anyone at all that listened to them/liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you today because I've gone now and then to Great Satan's Girlfriend and wondered.

    Hang on a minute - let me put you back in the blogroll [I've revamped it and I'm trying to find my way back].

    OK - not hot in the U.S. They were more a Euro group and in Australia they had a couple of hits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was about the period when I stopped listening the the stuff in the charts because non of it did much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about it, you wouldn't like it, would you, where you live. :) And you wouldn't like the Peter Gunn theme for being too Yankee probably.

    Watch out in about four hours. Ha ha.

    Cherie - that was about my limit too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I loved the 80's musically and would have hated to have been in the UK then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yea, Courtney's still doing a bang up job; I visit her occasionally (or just stop by her FB page anyway to look at pictures heh)

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.