Tuesday, March 03, 2009

[cymru] cyfriniol cenedl


In this ongoing Ignorant Travel Guide, I wrote that I was going to do Ireland next.

I lied.

The first thing about Wales is that online Welsh translators are rubbish. The second is; 'r Cymraeg ydy da boblogi.

In this mystic land, things are not as they seem:

Names are not always what they seem. The common Welsh name BZJXXLLWCP is pronounced Jackson. [Twain]

Yes but what do the Welsh actually look like?

Welsh in general have dark features i am Welsh and I'm from Welsh speaking Wales were you get more dark complexion than light maybe this is because foreign tribes never really made it this far into Wales. I have dark brown/black hair, Brown eyes, I am medium sized and have darker skin. When I'm in Spain the Spaniards always come up and speak to me in Spanish.

That's interesting because in Sicily, people were forever coming up to me asking directions in Italian.

What do the Welsh think of themselves?

I rather like my reputation, actually, that of a spoiled genius from the Welsh gutter, a drunk, a womanizer; it's rather an attractive image. [Richard Burton]

What do the non-Welsh think of them?

"The Welsh," said the Doctor, "are the only nation in the world that has produced no graphic or plastic art, no architecture, no drama. They just sing," he said with disgust," sing and blow down wind instruments of plated silver. They are deceitful because they cannot discern truth from falsehood, depraved because they cannot discern the consequences of their indulgence. Let us consider," he continued, "the etymological derivations of the Welsh language...."

Apparently, everyone wants to move there:

The jobs are already held by Civil Servants around the country who will be expected to relocate to Wales or lose their jobs.

Which leaves us with the obvious question – did Owain Glyndŵr ever use the expression: ‘Sod the English?’

Finally, who is the sexiest Welsh woman afloat?

Answer

Personally, I prefer this one.

10 comments:

  1. James, I'm disappointed! What about Welshcakes and me?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, tell him, Liz! [But maybe he's scared of REAL women?!]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently, everyone wants to move there

    But they are not wanted in Wales ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sexiest Welsh woman? Gotta be Ness from Gavin & Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between the two lists I think I knew of ...maybe five. Pitiful I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I am a REAL woman WC yet James is not afraid of me[wheras lots of men are & should be]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being Welsh myself and of course like most Welshmen easily offended, I would say that your post was actually pretty bloody good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Pisces.. here's Ruth Jones on the list?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha - wondered how this would go down.

    Liz - I was thinking of you the whole time and what you think but with you being a married girl 'n all, I was too scared to come on to you.

    Welshcakes - especially in the light of your St David's Day post, your Welshness is undisputed and your womanhood I know.

    Cherie - appears to be the case, yes.

    Piseces - Ness, yes?

    Dearieme - lol

    Pink Acorn - normal

    Uber - well, now I can't claim to be completely unscared but this jsut gives it that piquancy

    JPT - thank you

    Jams - Ruthy - forgot her.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.