Monday, December 22, 2008

[memorable lines] actor and film


For five points - the actors. For the other five points - the films.

1. "I vont to be alone."

2. "Where's the rest of me?"

3. "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

4. "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off !"

5. "Speak English to me, I thought this country spawned the f---in' language and so far nobody seems to speak it."

Answers

Greta Garbo, Grand Hotel; Ronald Reagan, King's Row; Peter Sellers, Dr. Strangelove; Michael Caine, The Italian Job; Dennis Farina, Snatch

6 comments:

  1. Didn't know the Snatch quote or where Garbo said that.. Isn't teh quote I want to be let alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. However, Garbo later commented, "I never said, 'I want to be alone.' I only said , 'I want to be let alone.' There is all the difference.

    Well spotted - I stand corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first quote (as amended) always makes me think of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was actually Peter Sellers in the character of (fictional) US president Merkin Muffley, said to have been based on Adlai Stevenson (who was never president).

    Dr Stangelove is one of my top ten films.

    ReplyDelete
  5. james,

    'Where's the rest of me'? - Ronald Reagan in 'King's Row', later used as the title of his autobiography.

    'War Room' - Dr. Strangelove, as above.

    'Blowing the bloody doors off' - the original 'Italian Job'

    'I vant ot be alone ' - 'Anna Christie'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cherie = :)

    William - Sellers, yes and it's one of my favourites too.

    Martin - All except Anna christie. It may be her but I know Garbo's version.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.