Saturday, November 22, 2008

[when we trust] when it is misplaced

Earlier in the night, late evening, I had two quite large shocks.

One is a real life situation with a friend and I don't quite know how to deal with it or help but I have a few ideas I'll try in the next few days.

The second is that I discovered something in the wee hours of this morning which really knocked the stuffing out of me personally. In the past few months, I've discovered how good true friends can be and it is they who have really kept me going both in RL and in this battle in the blogosphere against an ongoing rank injustice.

Only today, one of them told me that time was only going to allow more and more of the real truth to be discovered and people will cease burying their heads in the sand and see things as they truly are. The longer it goes on, the more it will be seen that I spoke the truth. For the moment though - no.

This is a time for decisions in a polarized situation thrust upon us. As Aneurin Bevan once said: "We all know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road - they get run down." The precedents are many. Chamberlain is a perfect example of the desire to appease, to smooth things over but when the slavering jaws of a Wolf are contemplating your demise, there is little room for manoeuvre, as Churchill well understood.

The hardest lesson I've learnt in these past months is that many who purport to be friends are not. This has been a bitter lesson - for so long I've heard people warning me that such and such a person pretends to be a friend but is not and I've ummed and ahhed and let it go on. Then, when the chips were down, they showed their true colours.

It's got to the point now where one doesn't trust anymore. And yet, a gut instinct tells me that this person is OK, this person does not speak with forked tongue and that this other person, for all the fine words, is a worry. Can't put a finger on it but something doesn't quite add up. A couple of explanations for strange reactions don't quite cut it. So we give the benefit of the doubt.

Then the truth comes out by accident; there is a combination of circumstances and suddenly we realize that the nightmare just goes on. Fine, fine. let it be so. If this is a test of character, then let it be so.

Goodnight, readers.