Monday, November 03, 2008

[cold] the genders react differently

I really like this site - it has some great shots of Russia.


Some very interesting posts from the Quiet Man just now but this one I particularly liked:

So women are actually designed to be cold. But while they moan about it incessantly, their ability to survive cold is significantly greater than men's, because the body of women retains its warmth in the inner torso, and hence the extremities are always cold. And the skin generally, too, and hence the woman will also feel cold (kind of like how alcohol makes one feel warm by the warmth rushing into the skin, without the body getting warmer). And that is so for when the woman gets pregnant, and the foetus can be warmed.

I've noticed something too and was talking to a lady a few days back about it - why is it that women shy away from hats in the winter but they'll wear gloves early, whereas the man will get his cap on early and go to gloves last?

3 comments:

  1. Men tend to have less hair on top and very thin skin there so protection is needed. Husband calls it his early rain detector. My tiny hands are frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wear hats in the winter. Now I know why the other women make such a fuss about me doing so ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's possibly a simple explanation for the hat thing. How many men will say to you - I dont suit hats? I have the right face for a hat and wear them through all seasons, women that dont suit hats wont wear them the same! BTW, I love your header photo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.