Monday, October 20, 2008

[jobsworths] no time to help, no time to think


I was at the Post Office and saw something which really stopped me in my tracks. There was an old lady, I don't know, maybe seventy and she was trying to either pay something in or get some payment back.

For a start, she couldn't cope with the fast moving line which then fanned out to the "Cashier-N3-please-sing-song window". Once there, it was all brisk.

"Yes luv?" demanded the fortyish woman behind glass and the slow speaking old lady tried to explain but of course they'd changed the procedure, hadn't they?

"Here, luv, just fill these out," and she was given four forms to complete and sign. She might have had Parkinsons, she might have just been jittery but she tried to go through them and completely failed. Perhaps the eyesight was not so good.

Now she was just blocking the way for all the foot-tapping, bustling, young middle-agers waiting in the line and there was total indifference to her plight. At that same moment, I was called to one of the windows for my posting. The stamp was slapped down, I paid and the woman behind glass then walked off. She came back in three minutes and I was still there - her annoyance was showing.

In my sweetest voice, I asked her the question I'd been waiting to ask before she'd walked off and she shot back the reply but it was to the wrong question, so I had to ask again. By the time I got away, the old lady had gone - she'd clearly either given up or had been told to go home and complete them there.

This whole thing stank and it seems it's not an isolated phenomenon. Here's another:

A Job Centre in Bolton demanded that "friendly" be removed from a job ad on the basis that it discriminates against the unfriendly - "enthusiastic" and "motivated" have also been victims of similar bans.

Those women behind glass probably felt they were being eminently reasonable , in a jobsworth way but they simply weren't being reasonable. That old lady should have been sent an officer from behind the counter to help her fill in the forms - it would have taken maybe three minutes to do and the Post Office would have had one satisfied and very grateful customer.

It really affected me, that incident and made me think of some concierge service for the elderly or incapacitated. I don't know how to do it, as I'd hate to take money from pensioners and yet I'd like to get something going for just such situations. Need to think on't.

7 comments:

  1. I can sympathise if they're rushed off their feet, but how on earth do they expect people to manage? Fortunately things are still very customer-friendly here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James -
    What a sad story.
    I hope the next time I’m one of those impatient people in line (and I can be very impatient), I’ll come to my senses and offer my help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,


    I've had similar experiences in supermarkets. They flood the aisle and become statues, unable to figure out what they want. It's sad to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really affected me, that incident and made me think of some concierge service for the elderly or incapacitated. I don't know how to do it, as I'd hate to take money from pensioners and yet I'd like to get something going for just such situations. Need to think on't.

    James,

    From thoughts like that great fortunes are (rightly) made...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very upsetting!

    The reason that the staff have no time to help properly is because they are set targets which they have to meet. They are giving office instructions on how to deal with situations and they are not allowed to think for themselves and be human.

    The services have been trimmed down by the labour government in favour of administration and meeting targets!

    I could go on for hours, but I think I best get of my soapbox quickly ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one topic that really ruffles the feathers! The elderly.
    They are not accorded the due respect they deserve-worse they are treated as if imbeciles, when it is them who hold a fountain of knowledge and could teach us a great deal.
    The whole of society is not'elderly friendly' and I think their loss of status in the world is a disgrace!
    I would have been talking VERY LOUDLY on her behalf, demanding that someone from the post office help her, and admonished EVERYONE in the queue.

    I have learned the most fascinating things, had some of my best conversations with the elderly.

    I love the elderly!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.