Monday, October 13, 2008

[cat's life] zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


There's a cat where I'm staying and she and I had the old territory discussion right at the start. Once she realized she could still go about, sit, lie, curl up and generally cat it wherever she wanted, things slipped into a pleasant routine.

She seems to like the room I'm in; she seems to like the top of the bed I'm in; she sometimes moves up to rub the nose and then goes away again. Her favourite places are lying on my outdoor shoes, in the living room near the heater and under the bed.

Obviously, when she points the nose for egress at night, she's heading for a knees up on the town but not when it's drizzly cold. Then she wants in. I asked her about her life one evening and she looked long and hard at me, blinked, narrowed the eyes and then head-butted my hand, whatever that was meant to indicate, turned over on her back and did a snake impression.

In the morning, I was warned, the food had better be ready and the water changed, otherwise there would be ructions. So it always is ready.

Just now there was a little comedy of errors. I ran up to the room I'm in and went to get the flip flops but she was using them. Not a greedy or an imperious sort at all, she jumped off and headed out of the door, then turned and watched. I headed towards the door and she moved to the stairs. I went for the stairs and she went down them first. I followed. She propped and looked again. I walked towards the kitchen and she went through first.

Once in there, she turned and asked me why on earth we'd come down here when there was a perfectly warm heater and bed upstairs. Humans are strange.

6 comments:

  1. Oh we are. I think my four furry masters look on me as something to be pitied rather than punished....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post James- really great post- one of your very best. I love the way that all cats are so individual and have so much character about them- particularly in their negotiations with the crazy world of the two legged animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She really is quite a character, this one but she also has phobias and idiosyncrasies all hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All cats have slaves, and you've obviously been adopted.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.