Thursday, May 08, 2008

[ve day] victory in europe


Which date was VE Day?
The final document of unconditional surrender was signed at General Dwight Eisenhower's headquarters in Reims on 7 May. Prime Minister Winston Churchill and King George VI wanted Monday 7 May to be VE Day, but in the event, bowing to American wishes, victory was celebrated on 8 May. The USSR waited an extra day before beginning their formal celebrations. New Zealand also celebrated on May 9th.

In Russia, the Day of Victory is tomorrow and in Victory Park in this town a crowd will gather early tomorrow morning for the service and parade.

As you'd know, this is also Israel's 60th on the 14th and tomorrow, May 9th, is Verlin Martin's birthday - congrats to him too. The first sales of Coca Cola were at Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta, Georgia, on May 8, 1886.

Speaking personally, the second worst case scenario was laid out for me today. If I do have to leave in late May, the invitation to return can't be made until mid July. This means that my summer work where I recoup most of my cash disappears and I lose the clients I've built up. I also won't qualify for the summer holiday pay from the university.

With assets inaccessible in my homeland [won't go into that], I would then need to stay outside Russia [where?] for a month and a half on tea money whilst my flat here requires it's monthly payments. Wonderfully black joke. I'll find some country to visit and live on the beach I suppose.

Also troubling was looking for evidence that Britain plans any celebrations for VE Day and came up with this. However I did find a 2007 reference to Gordon Brown suggesting the new Britain Day where he could "reclaim the flag from the right".

Anyone or anything I've missed on this day?

6 comments:

  1. Anyone or anything I've missed on this day?

    There's quite a few things here you can take your pick from, lol:

    What happened on 7th May?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you missed my brothers birthday, but you didn't know that ;-)

    My RL friend has the same problem with his summer work, still awaiting a Visa! So I know how messy all of that is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :)

    I was born on Mother's Day (what a gift heh)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born on D- Day ( anniversary , of course).

    Do you know what country you will live in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol at Ginro's list. Happy birthday Lord N :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the second worst scenario? I hate to think what the worst is!
    Well my "beach" is a bit far away but you would be welcome to stay if you got yourself here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.