Tuesday, April 15, 2008

[male pattern baldness] ten legends tall or true

Click pic for video of Michael Parkinson interviewing Patrick Stewart


The legends



1* "You inherit baldness from your mother's father."

2* "Intellectual activity or psychological problems can cause baldness."

3* "One's ethnicity can increase the chances of going bald."

4* "Baldness can be caused by emotional stress, sexual frustration etc."

5* "Emotional stress has been shown to accelerate baldness in genetically susceptible individuals."

6* "Bald men are more 'virile' or sexually active than others."

7* "Frequent ejaculation causes baldness."

8* "Standing on one's head alleviates baldness."

9* "Tight hats cause baldness."


To these I'll just add one of my own:


10* "Acute hair loss has been known to cause baldness."

The effect on the female is an interesting study. Certainly the female who judges by Adonis standards [the vast majority, despite the denials] will be turned away by a receding hairline. But to turn this round, perhaps baldness attracts a better class of female.

One who sees it as part of the whole package.

Who knows?

We can only hope.

13 comments:

  1. I love Patrick Stewart. He just would be him with hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The effect on the female is an interesting study. Certainly the female who judges by Adonis standards...

    What a laugh, you think all females go for the so called Adonis?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to read the part under that, Nunyaa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is an upside to receding hairlines and tonsures by installment... I have less grey hair than I did last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the only thing I truly fear.
    It is the worst nightmare I have.

    I hope I never live that long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I married someone who was already going bald at 28. It didn't bother either of us then or now. Sadly he passed the MPB gene on to our son who also went bald before 30 but also doesn't seem to care.

    But it did come through the maternal line to my husband because his father and brother never lost their hair.

    Number 10 sounds like a GWB statement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another thought for you!

    What about a fair lady going bald...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought you were going to debunk the legends for us, james.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If #7 were true, half the teenage boys would be bald.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Closest I have got is a number 1 buzz cut. I have inherited receding hair line, but I think I can deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a little further gone than most on this page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. iam seventeen and have very thin hair on the crown of my head... been this way since i was eleven... what the fuck is wrong with me. this has been a severe cause of stress and ridicule for me as i amattending one of the worst high schools in australia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. With each successive year, Bill, it gets less critical for you and by 30 it's not even an issue. It's not an issue in the end if all else works well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.